Towing 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto on the braking. I usually do 150m round trips and pulling was never an issue with our Explorer. I was burning through brake pads and rotors though and eventually killed it. No issues with a Sequoia.

Any 3.5 L 4x4 will be fine unless you have a t top. 6 speed tranny is better than modern 8. If you tow a lot in hills you might need a trans cooler. Do not tow more than 80% of stated capacity! Remember that unless you have sophisticated braking system when going downhill your boat is driving your car and you just steering.

i wouldn't worry about how steep the ramp was for power as much as grip. i’d want a good 4wd with good grippy tires.

why not another 4runner ?

can pull extra slow so water drains as she comes out keeping the load factor down. but your not gonna get anywhere if the tires are just spinning.

A 4Runner would pull the 1801 Parker. I've had 5 or 6 4runners in the past. I never reached the MPG Toyota said they would get. I never expected good MPG towing.

I have been reading about the newer Ford Ranger and thought maybe a possibility. Would consider a used one but with today's market it's crazy. I have 2 or 3 years to figure out the tow vehicle.

When I was looking for a smaller vehicle with decent towing capacity I looked at the Jeep Cherokee. The V6 with the towing package has a max of 4500lbs. I had trouble finding one in stock in the Boston area though. Ended up with a Chevy Colorado and I’m glad I did because I upgraded from a 17’ to a 23’ two years later. Gas mileage isn’t awful, I think I average 20mpg with a lot of city driving.

I agree with the consensus here that a V6 4x4 would do the job though. I used to tow my 17fter with a subaru outback 4cyl on the .5mi trip to the ramp and the AWD handled the steep, slippery ramp with ease so a vehicle that only offers AWD could work, too.

I tow mine with a 2020 highlander and have no issues at all. It’s rated 5000lbs. My trailer has brakes also…

Back