towing limits

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about the process in your state but out here in California it's very simple. I pay about $100 for an annual permit that allows towing 24/7.

I have a 2510 too, legally you should have a permit. With that said I tow mine to and from the marina once or twice a year, I don't get a permit. It's about a 20 mile trip for me, if I were to tow reguarly I would get the permit.

Mr. Porkchunker tows his all the time and has the permits, there is a link somewhere showing his set up.

Yep...I get them for anything except crossing Rt. 2/4 to the local Citgo gas station. VA permits are easy to get on line. MD is still using the carbon-based units to issue the pieces of paper. Most states are taking the entire permit process on line.

I get mine, not because of the fear of getting stopped and paying a fine, but the legal liability associated with having an accident without them.

"...Ladies and gentlemen of the jury...my client is permanently disabled, confined to a wheel chair, drooling down his chin, with a plastic tube stuck up his butt to $heet through for the rest of his life, because the defendant was a cheap idiot and didn't follow the laws of this Great State..."

Dave

aka

Porkchunker":28vgtfzr said:
Yep...I get them for anything except crossing Rt. 2/4 to the local Citgo gas station. VA permits are easy to get on line. MD is still using the carbon-based units to issue the pieces of paper. Most states are taking the entire permit process on line.

I get mine, not because of the fear of getting stopped and paying a fine, but the legal liability associated with having an accident without them.

"...Ladies and gentlemen of the jury...my client is permanently disabled, confined to a wheel chair, drooling down his chin, with a plastic tube stuck up his butt to $heet through for the rest of his life, because the defendant was a cheap idiot and didn't follow the laws of this Great State..."

Dave

aka

While I'm not arguing against being legal, the court scenario you describe would hinge more on other factors such as were you driving in some illegal manner, were you drunk and/or overweight (the boat I mean :lol: ), did you run a red light, etc. Having a permit doesn't endow us with immunity is what I am saying, and not having one doesn't necessarily make an accident more likely.

JFP123":q4vgbxg1 said:
Porkchunker":q4vgbxg1 said:

Dave

aka

While I'm not arguing against being legal, the court scenario you describe would hinge more on other factors such as were you driving in some illegal manner, were you drunk and/or overweight (the boat I mean :lol: ), did you run a red light, etc. Having a permit doesn't endow us with immunity is what I am saying, and not having one doesn't necessarily make an accident more likely.

I agree. I'm very carefull towing the boat; permit or no permit an accident can happen anytime even crossing the street to get gas.

apparently in maryland there is a $50 per month or $500 per year fee to have a permit to haul a wide load. wide load seems to be between 8' and 12'. for loads under 10 feet the permit is all that is needed and can be issued by the hauling permits unit of the Maryland Department of Transportation and State Highway Administration. i'm told that a permit can be gotten by going to the office in hanover md, by mail, or by internet.

i was told that there is no difference between a commercial vehicle or a recreational vehicle in getting the permit. below is a link to the site.

http://www.sha.state.md.us/businesswithsha/trucking/oots/otr_mcd.asp?id=WO63+B167

I have mine for the exact resaon Pork stated. I always remember the line from the movie A few Good Men...

"It's not about the truth it's what I can prove."

Just because your not at fault in an accident doesn't mean your exempt from getting dragged into court. If there's some sort of liability on your part you better believe there's an attorney out there to take you on.

Back