Trailer for 2520?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sow&Pigs

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a trailer for my 2520, and I'm curious if any of you 25' owners have one. Ideally I'd like to find a used one. Any thoughts anybody?

Thanks

My 2520XLD is still a couple of weeks out but it will be on a "Pacific" trailer when I get it. Just for info.

I trailer mine all the time.

I personally would not consider anything but the following:

1. bunk style
2. dual axle (no reason not to get a triple if the deal is right)
3. disc brakes on all wheels
4. aluminum trailer with all stainless hardwear
5. led lights (now or later)
6. trailer rated at or above 9000lb GVW.

I pull mine with a Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4 X 4. I go to a couple of ramps where I wouldn't want to rely on 2 wheel drive.

Richard

Richard,
Not to change the subject but what's your estimate of weight for the boat, trailer, fuel, etc. loaded? I was guessing right about 10,000. I have a similar vehicle (2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax 6 speed Allison, 4X4, crew). Thanks, Randy.

Here are my calculations.... this is done now so I'm not sure what I've figured in the past.

Dry weight 5300
Engines 550
Accessories 300
Fuel 1300
Misc 200
Trailer 2000

Total 9650

The accessories include liferaft, electronics, wreck anchor, outriggers.

Misc. includes rods and reels, coolers, ice, bait, and all the other stuff that finds it's way onto the boat. ( like about 20 lbs of sinkers )

The majority of trailering is with about 1/2 the fuel capacity so I'm usually pulling about 9000 lbs. When I run offshore I fill up and from there it is only 2 miles or so to the dock.

To me it sounds like Richard has the perfect trailer. Definetly go with a tandem axle. My boat came with a triple axle and it's a pain to move around.

Thanks for the info Richard. I have a FW powerboat that is about 10K on the trailer so I was estimating the Parker was close to that.

I have a ten+ year old Load Right trailer:

Galvanized
dual axle
drum brakes on one axle
rollers

It works great, tows great, boat goes right on. I bought it for $500, replaced the tongue with a longer one and installed the brakes. <$1500.00 into it.

I tow with an 05 Ford F250, 4 door, 4x4.

Good luck.

Jon

Thanks guys. I'm going to start the search for a used one, as a new trailer with the specs you all mentioned is a little to steep right now.

Here's another question though: I'm told that because of the beam being over 8'6" you need a special permit on the highways. True? Or true, but nobody's ever been stopped :twisted:

Here in California you do need an overisze permit to tow legally over 8'6". Getting the permit is simple, it cost $90 for an annual permit. There are some commute time restrictions and generally they don't want you towing through construction areas. The place that I got my permit through updates me regularly on the construction and closure locations via email. Being a retired CHP (California Highway Patrol) Officer, I know most officers (not counting commercial officers) here probably won't stop you just for that. But, the real issue is if you are involved in an accident. You might have issues with your insurance company should they find out you were towing illegally. To me, the $90 is worth the peace of mind. I would think other states would have something similar.

Does anyone know about the width limit in Florida?

It's much the same in FL. The permit is only about $20 a year. My boat partner took care of that so I don't remember exactly the amount. They do not seem to care about it because it is not commercial towing. Believe it is a 30 minutes after sunrise and 30 before sunset restriction. Never paid attention to that and never had a problem. Usually at the ramp well before sunrise. Was told by FHP that they were not concerned with recreational stuff but should have the permit to cover in case of accident, if someone asked. Have pulled some trips from Jacksonville to Marathon, about 900 mile several times. Never any issues pulling in the dark. Passed many FHP.

dual axle (no reason not to get a triple if the deal is right)
If you get a triple axle (3- 3500#) you can get smaller wheels which will lower the trailer some so it does not have to go in as far. Triple tows much straighter too. Downside more $/ parts and there will be more wear on the rear tire from turns. A triple pulls as much better as a double does over a single. When you guys look for a trailer look for larger I-beams. I have seen the metal work harden on smaller stuff loaded to the limit and cracks appear. Parkers are heavy, you need a heavy trailer. Don't skimp here. It's just more safety equipment that you need.

Back