Trailer Light ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tara11

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2008 Ford F250 Deisel ( Badddddd Choice, Gas Miles Suck) But, it has 5000 miles, the trailer light plug or I do not know what keeps failing, Ford keeps doing something to make them work again, I think replaces the plugs etc on the truck side, I do not use the normal trailer light wiring, I have magnetic lights we put on the back of then trailer and remove before dropping the boat in the water, my question is, can I add a plug that bypasses the factory plugs on the rear of the truck because the factory plug is also connected to a trailer brake switch in the dash that is operated manually and I think when the rear of the truck is under water it shorts the factory set up, on my 4 other F250s, I do not have this electric manual brake switch on the dash and have never had a issue with the trailer lights, I just want to add a separate trailer receptacle after market plug that bypasses the factory plugs, can it be done ?

I would naturally assume that gas mileage would suck. But what about the diesel mileage? :D :D :D

WRT the plug, one has to be careful about by-passing things on these new vehicles. The CPU (brain box), keeps track of the resistance in the wiring and alerts the driver when light bulbs burn out. Screwing with the wiring, can cause the CPU to give you false alerts.

If it were me, I'd to into the dealer and pitch a fit and demand that they fix it right.

Dave

aka

Thanks, I have pitched a fit, I got it done and it is perfect, the best $200 I have spent in a while, the mechanic that did it has trailer toys , so he knew what to do !
As far as the truck, it is a deisel, and the truck is the best I have ever owned EXCEPT for the mpg, as I type this it reads 8.6, 10 is best , 9 is average, on the highway it is great, one on the offramp, down she goes wayyyyyyyyyyy down :(

Unplug the trailer wire from the vehicle before you back down the trailer into the water.

I have a 2005 F-350 short bed supercab 4x4 diesel and I get about 16 mpg.

Dana

I've got the built in brake control also on my '07 F250 Diesel, and I've not had any issue with dunking the boat and shorting anything out, sounds like a bare wire issue somewhere. MPG is 11-12 on tow mode and 22-23 running 75-80 mph interstate, 18-19 around town, on performance mode,,Diablo Sport Programmer.

Thanks, Well none of you guys trade in your 05, 07s for and 08, or you will be very bummed at the MPGs, it is a shame, but the truck is a very nice truck !

You might want to invest in an aftermarket "chip". I have a Dodge with an Edge box and have all of the power and economy I could ask for. Do a search for Edge or Bullydog or other chips/computers and see what is out there. Your truck can do much better.

I looked hard into chipping, and you are correct, it would make my truck 1000% better, but Ford says do it and void the warranty, that is why I have not done it :(

Back