Trailer with Brakes

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPScott

Reaction score
Hello-
I have a question about trailer wiring. My friend just bought a boat with trailer brakes. My trailer doesn't have brakes. I need to be able to pull his trailer with my truck. The problem is, it looks like his trailer has a different wiring connector. It seems to be a flat 4-pin connector, but bigger than mine.

Is this right? If so, how do I connect? Do I just need some kind of adapter?

Thanks for any help-
Scott

If it looks like your 4-pin flat connector...just bigger, it's probably a 5-pin. The extra pin on the trailer connector goes to a wire that connects to an electric solenoid that locks out the disc brakes. It's supposed to mate up with the backup light circuit on the tow vehicle so when you engage reverse, the solenoid activates and the prevents the reverse pressure on the actuator from applying the brakess. \

I am pretty sure you can just plug the two connectors together, but you won't get the benefit of locking out the brackes when you try to back up. So you have to do it manually with a pin or block of wood jammed in the actuator...or something like that.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to make another trip to the trailer. I thought the connector looked fatter than my 4-pin connector, but maybe I am wrong.

Worst case I may have to cut and splice. With this storm coming, there may not be time to order parts.

Back