Trailerable?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catskinner

Reaction score
Good morning gentlemen,
I’ve decided on buying a Parker. I am looking hard at a 2530 EXT SC w/twins. Realistically, would you say this is an easily trailerable boat? I will be using this craft for the wife and I to cruise the San Juan Islands or possibly tow to Shasta or even Havasu and of course fish! I have a three-quarter ton 2018 ram turbo diesel as a tow vehicle. Should I pick a 2320 instead? Both seem to be very capable Boats. I really love the room in the 2530 but either would work! TIA

Your 3/4 ton RAM will have no problems pulling that boat, in fact it will have plenty room to spare. The problem may be that the beam is 9'6" and many states require a permit to tow over 8'6". I regularly towed a 9' beam boat in Maryland and didn't have a problem but it could get tight in spots, definitely a toll booth.

I would check the laws in the states you plan to tow and see if you would be legal (or ask for forgiveness if you get caught).

Anyway, if you are only worried about the ability to tow it, you are fine with the truck you listed. Good luck

BTW, the 2320 is an 8'6" beam

Agreed. That truck will have no problem at all. Only concern is the oversized load and permits required. Keep in mind if an accident occurs with an un permitted oversized load you may face a lawsuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2530 with the trailer weighed 9100lbs....the 3/4ton Dodge is actually a perfect match.

I towed mine with a '15 F150 4 X 4 - 3.5 Ecoboost - Maxtow locally...MaxTow is rated @ 11,800lbs

I didn't tow any long distance or High speed. Launching and retrieving with 2 people that know what they are doing is a snap.

Thank you for all your responses, I’m definitely not worried about the ability of the Dodge to pull this rig. I was more concerned with the logistics of towing that large of a craft down the road. The 9’6” beam could be problematic as pointed out by you guys! I currently launch and retrieve a 21 foot bass boat which is a piece of cake single-handed! The 25 footer on the other hand may be a bit more of a challenge LOL

I regularly tow a 2320 (1000 miles last season) with a 1/2 ton with no issues. The additional beam width on the 2530 may be an issue if you intend on primarily towing vs a slip. I have towed oversized loads many times over the years and you just need to pay closer attention to clearances. I was in the same dilemma when I was looking and went with the 2320 to remain in compliance while trailering. Launching and retrieving are fairly easy with practice and an experienced helper but can take a while with rookies helping. In Michigan we cannot power load so learning how far in to put the trailer is critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I trailered my 2520 XLD locally for the first 6 months I owned her. I used a GMC 1500 with the tow package and "E" rated tires. I stepped up from a 21' CC. I did get the state wide load permit which is $100 annually in SC. It takes a lot more attention; but, it is very doable. I highly recommend electric over hydraulic trailer brakes. I now keep her in a slip and use her a lot more especially for spontaneous after work trips. I still have the trailer and pull her out for maintenance about every six months.

With a properly spec'd trailer set up by a knowledgeable trailer company, you should be fine.
Problem is that most boat dealers really don't know how to setup a trailer properly.
Look for a trailer dealer that can measure, sling the boat, and move the axles and bunks to locate the boat properly.
They can also check the axle and trailer tongue weights to make your trailering experience a good one.
Good luck!

Oh....On the subject of trailers. You want a LARGE Capacity Dual axle......Not a Tri axle.

Ask any Tri-axle owner or previous owner and they will tell you. They Eat tires....Making tight turns and yea...When your rig is 53ft long you have to do that.....It tries to tear the tires off the trailer as it is pulling them sideways in a tight turn......For me this would mean 1 new tire a year.

The width is definitely an issue that I did not fully appreciate before purchasing my 2520. I only tow in California.

If I understand the rules, a wide load permit is required and a updated list of road restrictions is sent out weekly. Plus there may be other restrictions and fees applied by local jurisdictions such as counties, municipalities, bridge districts, etc.

To tow this boat from northern Cal to southern Cal would involve checking with a long list of agencies, paying their fees, and complying with their individual closures and restrictions. I did get my wide load permit but when I looked into the other agencies that I would have tow through, I frankly gave up. I realize that my insurance and liability could be effected. I haven't encountered other 2520 owners who comply with the system here in Calif.

John

a updated list of road restrictions is sent out weekly.

Now there is a Make work job. Info would be out of date by the time you received it.

To tow this boat from northern Cal to southern Cal would involve checking with a long list of agencies, paying their fees

California + The land of higher EVERYTHING!

Back