Trailering

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbri

Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a trailer for my 2520xl. But I only have a 1/2 ton p/u
Does anyone tow one with a Silverado 1500 and how does it do ?
I have a slip so I’ll only be going in and out a couple time a year.
Also bottom painting from a trailer seems a bit tougher.

I had a 2011 Sierra All Terrian with the max tow package. It took a lot of attention, good electric over hydraulic trailer brakes and an empty boat fuel tank to feel good. I now have a 2017 2500 HD 6.0 gasser. I don't have to peel the seat cover out of my A$$ with the boat fully loaded. It can be done with a 1500; but, I'm a lot happier with a 2500 HD.

One thing I should add, the shocks on the truck make a huge difference. I had replaced the 1500 max tow Rancho shocks with Bilstiens because they had 120k miles on them. Towing the ride was worse. Get the stiffest shocks you can find if you're sticking with a 1500 and your seat cover will thank you.

1500 will pull just fine. Stopping is the problem.
Make sure the trailer brakes are always in good working order and have boat weight balanced on trailer properly.
I pulled a Bertram 25 twin I/O with a Ford F150 approx 50 miles lots of week-ends and a couple of 500 mile trips per year for the 15 years I owned the boat.
Dave

Of course a 1/2 ton will pull it. I pulled a 25' Kencraft (almost the same hull of the Parker), with a cummins diesel for 3 years with a 1/2 yon dodge 120miles round trip. Kept my trailer in good shape and re-worked the brakes yearly. Never had a bit of trouble,,,,,, until one day the trailer brakes did not work. Shoved me through a 4 lane intersection running 60mph. The reason for the failure was a ruptured brake line, which was new that year. Bought a dodge 2500 the next week. Anyone who tells you trailer brakes will not fail you, has not done a lot of pulling.

You'll be fine.... I suggest you buy the next size up trailer.

What you get is a longer trailer....The boat fits better....The toung is longer....This keeps the truck wheels out of the water.
When you start backing down a steep ramp stop and go super slow...The weight of a big boat can drag a truck down a ramp. It's scary the first time it happens.

My son use to pull our 95' 2530 with a Chevy 2WD 5.3, It was just local say 10mi.

Back