Transducer install on a 21 SE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cboo

Reaction score
Any suggestions on the best place to install a Fishfinder/GPS transducer? I know I don't want to cut a hole in the floor. I understand shooting through the hull reduces clarity as much as 40%. Transom mount with a piece of starboard glued to the transom is what I am thinking. I looked to see if this was discussed earlier. Couldn't find it but I am new to this site.

im pulling my boat out this weekend for service ill take a pic of the location of mine on the transom. Im able to go 40mph and always have signal if this helps. Glue will not hold starboard, not even 5200. others will chime in.

Have you read the instructions?

Starboard does not Glue....It's slippery. You can mount the starboard, but mechanical fasteners are still a must.

Read this: http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads ... 247-03.pdf

Here is a starboard install I did to cover the holes from past X-ducers. After a while it has to be done this way. 4 different X-ducers over the years.

Note that it's not just a chop cut piece of Starboard. Radiused corners with all edges bullnosed. Screw holes countersunk.

P3060885.jpg

P3060886.jpg

I saw a product out that is about the size of the mounting piece you show in your photo. The mounting plate glues on. I assumed it was starboard but not 100% sure. The system uses 4 dabs of epoxy on each corner and is held on by a center piece until the glue adheres. The gel coat has to be lightly sanded. No attaching screws. You guys are saying it won't stay on?

I've seen the product your talking about.....Never used it....To expensive for me.

$50 for this. http://www.amazon.com/Stern-Saver-trans ... B00944VJD0

I understand what they are doing now....look at all the large holes in the back of this unit. they are relying on SURFACE area to hold it on. The epoxy has a lot of surface area in all those holes.

71mulFUiWtL._SL1500_.jpg

I'd be installing a tilted element thru hull if it was mine and I've installed a bunch of them.

b164_install.jpg

Thanks for the reply. A friend has about convinced me to go through the hull and with your second, I may do it. I really don't like the wire going over the transom. Looking forward to keeping up with the information given on this site.

Good move.....Now how deep do you normally fish... What Fish finder do you have? Black Box?

Most of my fishing is inshore around Savannah. The reason I bought this boat is to allow some offshore fishing in the Spring. The local artificial reefs that we fish locally are no more than 75 feet deep. But, I will pull the boat to the Keys once a year and then the water is 200 to 1000 feet. I am probably going with the Garmin 70s. Not crazy about the depth program on that one but it is a touch screen and I like Garmin's map detail. I have asked a distributor to recommend a through the hull (how about that) transducer. I currently have a Lowrance 5 and it is okay but I don't like it enough to brag abut it.

10-4. The prices on this Garmin unit has been reduced dramatically. As if they are trying to move all of their stock. No one will admit it but I suspect Garmin is coming out with a new/ updated product. I think the 70s will suit my needs perfectly. A new product always has a new price tag.

They always do that.....Yes there will be new stuff out. The 70 series have not impressed me a lot with their FF abilities.

The 5000 or 7000 series have touch screen and Black box GSD 26.

I set my 4212 like this. Chart on top and FF under.

But this is my 6208 that is on the Crows Nest.

100_6001_zps51e9bccc.jpg

Back