Transom crack?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgs

Reaction score
1995 2520.. I have a Crack on the top of my transom in a weird spot. It runs along the very top horizontal edge. I had a friend who has pretty good boating knowledge look at it and he says it's no big deal. Grind it and epoxy it. It will be fine. Others tell me it's a BIG issue. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 565
I've got one too. Others on here have posted pics of theirs. Mine is in the same general area but only about 3" or so long. I'm going to grind it out this winter and put some resin in it then gel coat. It will be good as new. The consensious is that it's no big deal but you should seal it up and deal with it. It's unlikely that you have any major rot or anything. I've read that a likely cause is trailering the boat without an engine support brace and the bouncing causes the crack?? Sounds logical? Just seal it up however and you should be good to go.

Though it has not occurred on my 21SE, I happen to ask Eric at Parker about this very issue a few years back, and as mentioned above, flexing of transom probably the cause. Grinding it out with a dremel tool should confirm it is not very deep, good opportunity to practice resin and gelcoat skills.

would be scary if it was some manner of delamination going on.

does anyone run a transom saver type device when trailering? never see such a thing at the ramp on big boats.

My buddy's older 2520 had the exact same crack, starboard side I believe. His hull is mid 80's and I am certain it has never seen a trailer so I doubt it is from trailering. That is not the first crack I have seen in that spot. I can say that the three that I have seen were repaired successfully with no major damage resulting.

This boat has been on the trailer twice. When you say use,a Dremel to grind it out....you think the Crack doesn't go all the way though to the to the wood?

fix it ASAP to keep water out. Put a piece of vinyl tape on it until you get to repair it.

I have the same thing going on with my 21SE, Its in the post "21SE transom Problem" It seems this is a common problem with these boats. Brandon from Parker sent me a drawing on how to do the repair. I am thinking that a 1/2" x 3" wide aluminum flat bar bolted across the top of the transom on the inside with the engine bolted through it might help? About 35" long and bolted on the ends as well as the engine mounts? Perhaps that will stiffen the top edge of the transom. What do you think?

Jpeg thanks for the drawing but I'm a little confused. My crack is exactly where "A" is. How is me glassing down where it says, going to seal the Crack and keep it from cracking again? Doing that looks like it beefs up the front but doest do anything for the Crack itself

Dawgs":3daen5s8 said:
Jpeg thanks for the drawing but I'm a little confused. My crack is exactly where "A" is. How is me glassing down where it says, going to seal the Crack and keep it from cracking again? Doing that looks like it beefs up the front but doest do anything for the Crack itself

I believe it is intended that the glass is ground out removing the defect and then built back up. I consulted a glass shop today to get recommendations on how best to correct the fault and keep it from happening again. One thing for sure, this is a common problem with these hulls, so putting it back the same will not correct the cause of the cracking. The transom flexes causing stresses in this area. I think I will have the area of the defect ground out and built back up. Then build up the top of the transom over where the wood is (with glass) until it is as high as the top area (area "A"), then after grinding down the outside top of the transom, wrap glass up the inside and over the top then down the outside. This should stiffen the transom and spread the stresses over a wider area. This is my thinking for now. I am going to just seal the crack with epoxy for now. And wait until the end of the fishing season when the shop is not so busy. It can wait that long and I can go fishing in the meantime. I will post pictures of the repair when done.

Back