Transom Drain?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougP

Reaction score
Should the transom drain area in the picture have some paint/sealant or something on it to keep water from entering this area. It seems to me water in the bilge resting on the bare area around the drain would eventually rot this area???

Help with input on what if anything should be done.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF0015 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0015 (Medium).JPG
    37 KB · Views: 502
Well, I'll say I've never seen one like that ... and besides posts on CP, I probably get over a dozen PMs or emails with pictures of various Parker boat questions each week.

The layup in that area should be nothing but solid glass and resin, and I believe it extends about 4" upwards, if not more. But to be safe, I'd contact Parker or your dealer.

If it were mine, I'd rough up the area and solvent wash with acetone. Then I'd apply my favorite blue synthetic waterproof grease to the male threaded drain plug (and it's base) and then spray it with Pam cooking spray with olive oil and then insert it TIGHT. Then I'd back fill that area with epoxy, making sure to leave a nice hole through the epoxy. You can always drill through the epoxy, once hardened, as long as you don't bugger up the pipe threads.

The grease and olive oil acts as a release agent to protect the threads and allow you to get it out again. I might even throw that plug away and get a new one; I'd have to double-check the fit. About 30-min and then an hour into the cure, I'd back off the plug a turn or two, and then re-insert.

Lastly, I am VERY surprised your boat got out of the factory like that, but I believe the issue is purely one of cosmetics.

Thanks Dale. I don't have the skills or time to try the repair myself, nor should I when it is a new boat.

Anyone in paticular I should contact at Parker?
Robin? Warranty Dept?

Need to call my dealer as well to check on something else, so I will ask him about this too!

Love this forum for just this situation.

Looks like you can see the drill bit paths from the mounting screws as if they drilled all the way through? Wow pretty sloppy looking...I would take it to the dealer and let them deal with Parker. Not a big deal to fix. Maybe they guy who mounted this at Parker needs a shorter drill bit :) probably has a short bit complex :wink:

I discovered the drain on my 2006 23se was very loose last season. All that was holding it on were two of the three screws. The sealant used was some kind of putty, not a 4200 / 5200 type. It almost twisted off when I took the plug out one day. Actually a bit unsafe ...

:oops:
WOW!
Always good to check those plugs!!!!
I keep mine out for the winter and put it in a ziplock ...
the ziplock is tied to the steering wheel smack dab in front of my nose so there is no way I can forget to put it in come splashtime :wink: .

Foggylink":9wjjalja said:
I discovered the drain on my 2006 23se was very loose last season. All that was holding it on were two of the three screws. The sealant used was some kind of putty, not a 4200 / 5200 type. It almost twisted off when I took the plug out one day. Actually a bit unsafe ...

Latest posts

Back