trashman again parker vs judge

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashman

Reaction score
went to see judge yachts today chesapeake 27. I liked the boat a lot but I was not able to sea trial yet. It is rigged with 225 Honda. Hoe does honda compare to Yamaha and is it big enought to push that boat 4200lbs.
in order to bring the price down I had to give up some stuff.
I like the trailable boats so I am comparing 23 PH to 27 Judge. Both 8'6. THANKS TRASHMAN

I owned a Parker 2520XL for four seasons, powered by an F225. Boat alone weighed 5200 pounds. Engine pushed it nicely at a 25-30 mph cruise, and it topped out at 39.XXXXXXXXXXXX mph at 5900 rpm.

There are a couple of used Judges on his site. My father has a 2001 27 Judge (downeast-no longer made) powered with twin 130 hondas. He has only had it one season but has really enjoyed the boat. The hondas are silky smooth and quiet at idle. Twin 130's make the boat a little transom heavy but are adequate power. I would think that a 225 Honda will get teh boat to ~37-38mph. I love the fact that Judge is a small shop builder who will customize the boat the way you want it. It also has a level deck to the helm, extended top that you can enclose, etc.

If you trailer all the time, the parker may be easier to handle, I also believe the Parkers to be finished a little nicer. for regular offshore use, it is a deep v to the transom too. (not that a 26'4" Judge wouldnt ride as nice a 23'er with more deadrise - but you would have to check it out)

Here is my fathers on the day he picked it up before he rigged her up the way he wanted :

judge1.JPG

The only similarities between the Parker 2320 and the Judge 27 Chesapeake is that they both have an 8'6" beam and both have a pilothouse. Everything else about them is completely different.

Bill Judge builds a great boat, but there is absolutely no way you can compare the two boats you are looking at.
Ride in each, and you will see why.

Megabyte":3sfjwkcb said:
there is absolutely no way you can compare the two boats you are looking at.
Ride in each, and you will see why.

Amen...like comparing a Carolina Skiff ride to a Regulator. :wink:

no offense guys but you are comparing a 26'4" hull to a 23' hull. Length does wonders for ride. Also parkers are not known for their ride either. They generally have the same deadrise from bow to transom. While the Judge has a sharp entry before flattening out at the transom. I would say that I would expect the Judge to ride better in a chop while the Parker would do better in swells. My father and his buddy who fish a 28 Parker fairly regularly think my boat with a similar hull design to the Judge rides as well if not better in a short steep chop. However offshore when coming off the back side of a swell and you get the flatter portion out of the water I am not going to get a great ride. For example, I fished 2 days offshore last year one was blowing a gale and I even had the occassional wave come over the bow trolling (and my bow is fairly high) and the other was spaced out medium sized rollers. On the very rough day we were very impressed that a boat with little transom v could ride so well as we made 20-22mph. The second day it was odd to not be able to run 28-30mph as it was calm with rollers. I had to slow to 25mph to keep the boat from launching off the back of the swells. Key to the "warped hull design" is to be able to keep the bow down to do the dirty work.

I would venture to say that either boat would win the ride catagory depending upon the sea condtions sea trial day to sea trial day. The next thing you would want to ask yourself is what boat would you rather be caught in a big sea in, a 23' hull or a 26'4" hull. My father used to have a 23' deep v hull that he fished offshore before he got the judge, but he feels much more comfortable in the large boat in bigger sea days. Either boat you arent getting a regulator or albemarle but a fairly stable big open cockpit with an area to run and stay comfortable from the elements.

Another consideration is cost. Bill must be slow if the pricing is close. I wanted the 27 Judge but he was about 15grand more than the 2320sl parker and 2550xl Maycraft. While I love his boats, I couldnt justify the additional costs.

B-FAITHFUL

I saw your father just a little while ago working on a light. He is about 4 slips down from me. A great boat you could eat off the floor. Oh, and by the way a great dad, too

You must have the 21 Parker there.. He often admires your boat stating that a 21 Parker like yours will be his next boat. He usually keeps his boats very clean and is always tinkering with them. His las boat, a 1970 Allmand, looked cleaner than my 2005.

I hope to be up there Nov 5 for a striper fishing trip .Maybe I will see you on the docks. Just so you know, I look more like my mom therefore much better looking than my dad :lol:

What is that saying about a blind squirrel...? :lol:

Nice fishes Greg. :)

Yeah my father's boat has over 850 hours now and they ran silky smooth, are quiet and fuel efficient.. They are just fat pigs weighing almost as much as my 225 Opti ea.

While Judge likes to rig with Honda, they will put whatever you want on the boats.

Here is a local guy with his 27 Judge chesapeake and his 200HPDI

27ChesMain.jpg

He has since swapped motors for a Yammy 4 stroke

F225..... While he likes the motor much better than his 200hpdi, i believe jeff told me he gained nothing in performance

Back