Trim Tab Question: 24X9 vs 24X12

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Lenco trim tabs on my boat. Not sure about the size but I think they are 12 x 12.

I am thinking about getting wider tabs, but not sure how to deal with the recess in my hull where the current tabs are seated. The current tabs kinda "slide in" to that recess. The recess is a few inches larger than the tabs.

Anyone have a similar situation that they were able to overcome?

I have the 2520scxl.

Attachments

• Trim Tabs (Small).jpg
    Trim Tabs (Small).jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 322
BuddahB":3bh5vdo9 said:
The tabs on my CC are recessed. Would I have to build up that area under the boat where the recess is first or could I leave it and install the Bennett's directly to the transom? Seems to me you would have to make the bottom of the boat completely flat before attempting to install other type of tabs. Thanks in advance for anyone's input.

Seems like Buddah asked the same question but never got the answer. :?: :?: :?:

So what do you do about the recessed area. Do you just ignore it and run the tab like you do across a strake? Anyone come across this bridge already?

jim

Here are some detail photos of the new 'tab pocket'.

Image-75AB009CF6B411DB.jpg

Image-75AB2E1DF6B411DB.jpg

Image-75AB5B32F6B411DB.jpg

Image-75ABE900F6B411DB.jpg

I'm not certain that you can put wider tabs on the new boats... or that you need to.
Notice that the tabs are not 'squared off' like the old tabs.

Image-75AB8E4BF6B411DB.jpg

Image-75ABBBF5F6B411DB.jpg

The new tabs have a dropped edge forming a 'cup' like the Bennett sport tabs.
I have not heard from an owner of the new style tabs, nor have I had the opportunity to run a boat with them, so I cannot comment on if they work better than the old design or not.

Bennett actually offered the 'turned down edge' extentions as an option at one time, and might still.
CP member GW204 put them on his old 20 Grady and I think he liked the effect.

This might not answer your question, but it might cause others to check in with their experiences.

FWIW... I have 24x9 Bennetts on my boat.

Guys - resurrecting an old thread here (we have discussed this more recently, but not as directly).

I am considering ugrading the size of my tabs (just had a failure, so this would be the time to do it). I have a 23SE with what I believe are 12x12 tabs in recessed pockets. These are the tabs with the little down fins as posted in Kevin's picture.

Can I go with larger, transom mounted, tabs across the span of the recessed pocket (the tabs would need to be mounted a little higher so as to be flush with the "top" of the pocket).

What is the "right" approach here? I think someone (Richard?) may have recently done glass work to fill the tab pocket before doing a tab upgrade. If that approach is required, I will probably just repair/replace what I have.

I have tried to ask this question of Bennett - but haven't gotten a response. Is Tom (Tabman) still there?

Thanks all. Paul

Has anyone tried the Volvo QL tabs? Judge yachts switched from Bennetts to them citing they are much more efficient (less loss of speed) and very effective. Since then, I have seen them on several chesapeake bay boats including a 46 Carmen that I chartered last month. He claims to love them himself. If I have a made I will probably get the QL's but wanted to know if anyone directly compred them..

Since glass and gelcoat work is so simple, why not just fill them with roving soaked in epoxy almost to the top, and then apply gelcoat to bring them level. If you are going to bottom paint, you can skip the gelcoat and simply bring them level with roving and epoxy. Then mount the larger tabs to the transom.

Dave

aka

BuddahB":3tosu131 said:
Members, I currently have the stock "recessed" Lenco tabs on my 25SE. I've felt that the boat is under tabbed so I just installed one of those Cobra fins on the motor following a post I saw somewhere here from a fellow that had them on twin motors on his 25 pilot house and liked them...

I'm the one with twin F115s and Cobra plates on each of them. I love the plates. Bigger tabs may have been better, but the Cobra plates were cheaper and faster.

After reading a recent report on how the wider tabs disturbed the water around a bracket mounted single, causing it to ventilate, I don't think I could go with much wider tabs on the twins. Much wider and the disturbed water would be very close to the outboard side of the AV plates of the motors. I hadn't thought about the tabs disturbing the water, and an experiment with 24x 9 tabs could have been a very expensive experiment for me. So...the Cobra plates were right for me.

Dave

aka

Back