Trim tab zincs

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipedream

Reaction score
Pulled the boat out thur befor the storm. I had it set on a craddle at the marina and I am glad I did. I went down today to check on her and the zincs on the trim tabs were almost completely gone after only 4 plus months. Also It looks like there was round zinc on the lower unit just above the prop that was not there at all . All you coulid see was the rusty thread from the bolt. The motor is an 09 f 250. It is a good time to give the boat a mid season once over. I was suprised about the condition of the zincs on the trim tabs. I hope everyone made it thur the storm health and with minimum damage to there things.

Thanks Chris
2009 2510XL

Chris, I have the same issue with my boat and the trim tab zincs. It appears that they dissolve alot faster than all of the other zincs. I am thinking that one of my neighbors, who never moves his boat, and is always hooked up to shore power and running his AC is the culprit, but I am not sure. I have checked all of my electrical connections and all appear to be in good shape so I don't think the stray electricity is comiing from me. I am not hooked up top shore power. I too would be interested in any suggestions form the other knowledgable boaters here on ClassicParker.

Mine do the same thing and there is not another boat within 500 yards of where my boat is.

Problem with a bracketed parker is you have aluminum, stainless ans cooper all siting an electrolyte very close to each other.

Do you paint your tabs with cooper based paint??

The trim tabs on my boat are not painted . They did not appear to have any damage but they are brand new.

Sara F":38apggzx said:
Chris, I have the same issue with my boat and the trim tab zincs. It appears that they dissolve alot faster than all of the other zincs. I am thinking that one of my neighbors, who never moves his boat, and is always hooked up to shore power and running his AC is the culprit, but I am not sure. I have checked all of my electrical connections and all appear to be in good shape so I don't think the stray electricity is comiing from me. I am not hooked up top shore power. I too would be interested in any suggestions form the other knowledgable boaters here on ClassicParker.

Has it just started? I had the same problem but only one summer at a marina. I had a small boat next to me that was hardly ever used. The guy had a portable battery charger hooked up to it all summer. when I pulled the boat in the fall the zinks were gone. He was only there that one summer, it had never happened before and never happened the following season after he left.

I will have to ask the dealer ,I dont Know if Parker sends them out of the factory with zincs or if they put them on at the dealer. I will ask them about the round zinc that appears to missing just above the prop on the horizonal fin. I guess It was never installed or became loose an unscrewed. Any how the marina has my boat back in the water already , I will let you know how it turns out.

towards the end of my ownership of my 23 SE i was replacing the trim tab zincs every 45-50 days.

it got real bad. one of my zincs went bye bye and the hinge of the trim tab got eaten through, destroying it next time i took a ride. i was told this is a parker thing, not sure why though

Bryan, you may be onto something with the paint. My tabs are painted (not under the zincs however) I will have to check on th ecopper content of the paint. That may be the culprit. Thanks! I post a response when I research it a bit further.

Pipedream":3dzkjm8b said:
Pulled the boat out thur befor the storm. I had it set on a craddle at the marina and I am glad I did. I went down today to check on her and the zincs on the trim tabs were almost completely gone after only 4 plus months. Also It looks like there was round zinc on the lower unit just above the prop that was not there at all . All you coulid see was the rusty thread from the bolt. The motor is an 09 f 250. It is a good time to give the boat a mid season once over. I was suprised about the condition of the zincs on the trim tabs. I hope everyone made it thur the storm health and with minimum damage to there things.

Thanks Chris
2009 2510XL

Is your boat connected to shore power?

Brent, no I am not connected to shore power. I am thinking it may just be the paint on the tabe especially if it contains copper.

Been there before when was in tight marina with shallow water and neighbors with bad shorepower and chargers. Puts stray current in water. I went one year through 3 sets then got it back to 1 set.

Usually not the marina's problem, typically from another boater.

Typically you should not put copper paint on tabs, drives, can add to galvanic corrosion. Should not paint tabs underneath zincs and should not paint the zincs. Make sure they stay tight.

I saw guys that did not believe me lose their props. One year one bad culprit, we just shut his power off. He did not come down enough, and he had a lousy charger. You could hear it from a distance.

Stainless steel props can add to zinc demand.

Don't wait 'til they are almost gone before replacing zincs.

Dana

I pulled my boat out for the storm as well and my zincs all seem to be in good shape but after reading this post I am wondering why my boat doesn't have zincs on the trim tabs. should I install them next year? the boat is 10 years old and never had them and it doesn't seem to be a problem and they are not painted either. My engine bracket is also not painted but it gets alot of growth on it should this be bottom painted as well?

Look around at big boats. They usually have zincs on tabs, rudders. Is up to you based on where you are and how you use it.

I needed zincs on my tabs. I have two sets on each tab. When I was in active electrical current in water, one was not enough.

As others mentioned, have to buy a good zinc too.

Not for most of us, but I went to fresh water mid-last year and this year I went from zinc to magnesium on shapes, sizes I could find in magnesium.

Engine bracket is up to you based on how much and how well you clean it or not. I've seen it both ways. My approach is if it touches water it gets some kind of antifouling treatment.

Dana

I replaced the zincs on the trim tabs and the one above the prop. The marina didnt replace them before they put the boat back in. It took a little skill and patience to install them hanging over the sides of the swimm platform. The trim tabs are unpainted, but they didnt have any growth on them. There are a few boats around me with shore power. I will be sure to keep an eye them for now on.

Thanks for all the replies and all the good info.
Chris

Back