Trolling with 250 Yama 4stroke

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POGE

Reaction score
I am new to the 4 strokes and was wondering if trolling with a 4stroke does any harm (besides adding hours to the engine). I have a 250 Yama and thought I saw something about trolling may hurt them???
My engine is on a armstrong bracket for the 2300CC Parker, any body ever add a trolling motor, if so how?

I think trolling is better than not using your engine. Unless you put hundreds of hours a year on, saltwater and time will get to your motor before the hours will get you.

POGE":1y52w0fg said:
I am new to the 4 strokes and was wondering if trolling with a 4stroke does any harm (besides adding hours to the engine). I have a 250 Yama and thought I saw something about trolling may hurt them???
My engine is on a armstrong bracket for the 2300CC Parker, any body ever add a trolling motor, if so how?

Yamaha has a trolling feature built into the electronic gauges where you can adjust the RPM's in 50 increments all the way from 500-1000 SWEEEET!!! If it would damage the engine I would imagine they would not have this feature. 60% or more of my hours are trolling and the plugs look brand new after 200 hrs. No signs of wear from excessive trolling.

Just make sure you use Ring Free on a regular basis, and give it a "shock treatment" of Ring Free at the end of the season before you fog the engines and put her away for the winter.

Dave

aka

:D :D :D thanks to all for the info and the set on the tac! can't get those tubes slow and low enough.

I have over 700 hours on my F225 and I would guess 400+ are trolling hours and never had a problem. I have trolled 8-10 hours in a day bring the lines and head for home. I do use ring free on every fill up.

maxout":1c8prkcg said:
Yamaha has a trolling feature built into the electronic gauges where you can adjust the RPM's in 50 increments all the way from 500-1000 SWEEEET!!!.

Really? I never knew that? Where is that info? The engine manual or the gauges manual?

TheOtherLine":h22ynha1 said:
maxout":h22ynha1 said:
Yamaha has a trolling feature built into the electronic gauges where you can adjust the RPM's in 50 increments all the way from 500-1000 SWEEEET!!!.

Really? I never knew that? Where is that info? The engine manual or the gauges manual?

That feature is exclusive to the new, F250B series motors with digital shift and throttle controls.

Tell me about Ring Free, what does it do? I use Stabil Marine and have had no probelms, ever. I know some have just a few opinions on stabil. However, can I mix the stabil with the ring free? As always great forum from those who know by first hand experience. :?:

Ringfree is a product that is added to your gas at the rate of 1 ounce per 10 gallons of gas as a "maintenance dose". It can also be used at the rate of 1 ounce per gallon as a "decarbon dose".

The purpose of Ringfree is to keep carbon from fowling the ring lands and grooves causing them to stick, thereby scoring the cylinder walls. If the rings become fowled and the cylinder walls become scored, you will eventually get exhaust gas blow-by and engine failure is the eventual result.

Ringfree (or QuickClean, or CarbonGuard, or StarTron) is virtually a must in any 2-stroke motor, but Yamaha now recommends its use in their 4-stroke motors as well.
Mixing Ringfree (or QuickClean, or CarbonGuard, or StarTron) and StaBil is not a problem.

I troll for halibut at .8 to 1.1 kts with my F225. I use two drift socks, one on each side of the boat (2320DVSC) and the engine at idle. Sets the speed perfectly and I don't have to bump in and out of gear.

I run the lines off the forward amidships cleat, with the tail tied off to the aft amidships cleat, the sock runs right at the back of the house. Having the tail handy makes it easy to single hand and keeping the socks amidship keeps them from getting into the trolling gear.

Jeff

Back