Tstats on a 1999 200 HP SSII

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shannonigans

Reaction score
. .....so with the beautiful weather today and Noahs_Ark's post about the cost of a water pump/t-sat replacement. . ....I decided not to wait for spring and get ahead of things.. ...I have always done my water pump replacements myself on all my boats, but. .... I have never done the thermostats. I see that a lot of you do it as preventive maintenance every few years. I don't know when the last time mine were done, but. ... next year will be my 3rd season with the boat so I'll change 'em out.

. ...I took a few pictures in case some one else decides to do it and doesn't have a manual or anything. .....it will show them just how easy it is. ....the first one really just shows the location of some of the components. ...motor is a 1999 200HP Saltwater Series II..

. .....the next one is after taking out the 4 bolts and removing the cover....the cover just needed a small love tap and it came right off. ....

. ....now this one I have removed the t-stat. ...being my first time doing this I don't know if this is a normal amount of corrosion?? The t-stat itself isn't horrible. .....and because I'm replacing the cover, gasket, and t-stat. ...I'm not too worried anyway...

. ....I made up a gasket real quick just to keep crap out until I get the parts. ...if I get the parts from Sim they'll run me $74 (that's for both sides)...then another $68 for the Deluxe water pump kit. ....so a total of ~$142 for parts and.... .. free labor!! Not too bad IMO. ....

. .....this is a very easy DIY preventive maintenance project. ....if any of you guys that have done this before can add anything. ...please feel free.. ...

Thanks for reading............

Attachments

• engine1a.jpg
    engine1a.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 128
  • engine4.jpg
    engine4.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 128
  • engine4a.jpg
    engine4a.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 128
  • engine6.jpg
    engine6.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 127
. ....also. ....as an FYI for those that may not know. ...there is one Thermo Switch per cylinder head. They are used in the overheating warning system and. ...if your motor has the YMIS they will also help to limit the engine speed (if overheating).

. ...the Thermo Switch (only one on my carburetor engine) is for the YMIS and is used in the overheating warning system. It serves other functions in a fuel injected motor. ..

. ....those are just the basic function definitions. ....the manual gives much more info on them.

That's pretty normal on the build up...Just clean the mating surface real good where the thermostat sits.

Silver Antiseze on all the bolt threads......NOT COPPER!

. ....okay I found the poppet valve and it is also a pretty easy replacement. ...and price. I plan on changing it this time, but. ....is this something that is usually changed every time the thermostats are done. ....or can it go a few more years??

Attachments

• engine8a.jpg
    engine8a.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 107
Shannonigans":kqif9f17 said:
. ....okay I found the poppet valve and it is also a pretty easy replacement. ...and price. I plan on changing it this time, but. ....is this something that is usually changed every time the thermostats are done. ....or can it go a few more years??

You could ask SIM, but for the price and peace of mind, I do my t-stats and poppet every time I do my water pump.

Megabyte":39tiuzjl said:
You could ask SIM, but for the price and peace of mind, I do my t-stats and poppet every time I do my water pump.

. .... .yeah. ..seems like the smart thing to do. It's not much more money for that extra peace of mind.. ....

....I did just take apart my water pump too. ...took me a minute to figure out that the impeller comes right off AFTER you take off the drive shaft collar. This is the first time I have come across a collar. ....guess I could have actually read the manual first..... :roll: . .....I took a bunch of pictures, so more than likely I'll be posting them too at some point. .. ..

warthog5":39tiuzjl said:
Silver Antiseze on all the bolt threads......NOT COPPER!

. ....I have been using a product I get from work. ....N-5000 by Loctite. It's nickle based. ...no copper. Knock on wood I haven't had any issues with bolts I've used it on over the years. ....hey. ..if it's good enough for nuclear :wink:

For those with new motors.....Most of the time I don't have the hours on motors that justify changing the water pump. But I have years in time.

So the water pump is working perfectly, but it get's changed just to get lube on the bolts and driveshaft splines.

This is preventive maintenance.......No Broken bolts.

Back