Two alternators and 3 battery banks, how to charge?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopShot25

Reaction score
Two alternators and 3 battery banks, anybody been through this already?

Looking for the best solution to my electrical charging needs.

My Parker 2520 has twin Yamaha 150’s each with a 35 amp alternator. I have a starting battery for each engine and about a 450 amp hour house bank consisting of 4- 6 volt golf cart batteries.

I would like to keep a starting battery for each engine and have both alternators also charge my house bank while underway. From what I understand, I can install this automatic charging relay in line from each of my starting batteries to my house bank and it should work fine. Is it really that easy or am I kidding myself? Also, are these reliable, and is this the right way, or is there a better or safer way?

http://bluesea.com/category/2/productspecs/7600

I have not seen anyone post on this and I know I can’t be the only one who has come across this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are on the right track. I used something similar to help a friend wire a single motor to two banks...a starting bank and an accessory bank.

Somewhere either on TheHullTruth or BoaterEd there were a set of diagrams for wiring a bunch of different combinations of motors and battery banks (single motorand dual bank, twin motors and dual bank, twin motors and triple bank...etc.).

I have twins, and my plan is to use two of those combiners with the third bank. One combiner would go between the positive side of the port starting battery to the positive side of the third bank, and one combiner would go between the positive side of the starboard starting battery to the positive side of the third bank. That way, regardless of which motor I'm trolling with, the third bank gets charged.

Dave

Back