USCG Parker 2520XL Dimensions on Sea Time Form

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel

Reaction score
Filling out USCG sea time form and need help filling out dimensions. Anybody know the Length, Depth and Tonnage of a 2004 2520 XL ???

Length-Does the Armstrong bracket add to the length? Armstrong advertises on it's website that the bracket does include buoyancy.

Depth-Depth is different from Draft (see below).

Tonnage-?? Anybody have a tonnage number?

Thank you!

Dimensions as defined by USCG:

OVERALL DIMENSION$
LENGTH (L) is the horizontal distance between the outboard side of the foremost part (bow) of the hull and the
outboard side of the aftermost part (stern) of the hull. It does not include bowsprits, rudders, outboard motor
brackets, swim platforms that do not contain buoyant volume, and other similar fittings and attachments that are
not part of the buoyant hull envelope._
BREADTH (B) is the horizontal distance taken at the widest part of the hull, excluding rub rails, from the outboard
side of the skin (outside planking or plating) on one side of the hull to the outboard side of the skin on the other
side of the hull.
DEPTH (D) is the vertical distance taken at or near amidships from a line drawn horizontally through
the uppermost edges of the skin (outside planking or plating) at the sides of the hull (excluding the
cap rail, trunks, cabins and deckhouses, and deck caps) to the outboard face of the bottom skin of
the hull, excluding the keel. If your vessel is designed for sailing and the interface between the
"keel" and the "bottom skin of the hull" is not at a clearly defined location (as is the case with an
"integral" or "faired" keel), include the keel in the depth measurement.

Filling out USCG sea time form and need help filling out dimensions. Anybody know the Length, Depth and Tonnage of a 2004 2520 XL ???

Length-Does the Armstrong bracket add to the length? Armstrong advertises on it's website that the bracket does include buoyancy.

Thank you!

OVERALL DIMENSION$
LENGTH (L) is the horizontal distance between the outboard side of the foremost part (bow) of the hull and the
outboard side of the aftermost part (stern) of the hull. It does not include bowsprits, rudders, outboard motor
brackets, swim platforms that do not contain buoyant volume, and other similar fittings and attachments that are
BREADTH (B) is the horizontal distance taken at the widest part of the hull, excluding rub rails, from the outboard
side of the skin (outside planking or plating) on one side of the hull to the outboard side of the skin on the other
side of the hull.
DEPTH (D) is the vertical distance taken at or near amidships from a line drawn horizontally through
the uppermost edges of the skin (outside planking or plating) at the sides of the hull (excluding the
cap rail, trunks, cabins and deckhouses, and deck caps) to the outboard face of the bottom skin of
the hull, excluding the keel. If your vessel is designed for sailing and the interface between the
"keel" and the "bottom skin of the hull" is not at a clearly defined location (as is the case with an
Hi Angle, I'm 'editing' my first response as I miss-read your request. I missed/did not understand at the time, what you meant by 'sea-time' .... I'll assume you needing 'qualification' for you USCG Captains license?
The Parker 2520's official LOD (Length On Deck) is 25' 4". The Parker 2520 LOA (Length Overall) is 33' 1"... where the LOA is important is that that is how much space you are taking up physically. The Parker 2520's are NOT 33' boats. You do not count the pulpit, nor the Armstrong bracket. Yes the Armstrong (and some other) brackets have an airspace, and add some buoyancy, but they are 'bolt-on', and removable, and are not actually part of the hull. There is much 'controversy' over this issue. I had a difficult time 'discussing' this with my insurance carrier.
Tonnage, as you are referring to is not a 'weight' admeasurement, but a 'volume admeasurement', often used when you are trying to get a boat Federally 'Documented' . Is this what you are trying to do? are referring to? I've done so with my past boats; the 27 footer was boarder-line; but he 35 footer easily qualified. In general, most boats 24' and under would not qualify; a Parker 2520 is 'boarder-line'.... In the 1970's through 1990's there was an advantage to getting a vessel 'documented' . In most/all?? cases you did not have to have, and/or pay for the annual 'state' registration. There were No State numbers on the hull required, nor the costs of doing so..... At this time, most (all??) states now require both! So, the old 'documentation' advantage, in most cases/states is not longer valid.... There still exists some advantages to having a boat 'federally documented'; ex. large boats that visits foreign ports on regular basis, and a few more legal advantages (for large boats), but boats the size of Parkers are not part usually part of this issue....

Last edited:
Hi Angle, I'm 'editing' my first response as I miss-read your request. I missed/did not understand at the time, what you meant by 'sea-time' .... I'll assume you needing 'qualification' for you USCG Captains license?
The Parker 2520's official LOD (Length On Deck) is 25' 4". The Parker 2520 LOA (Length Overall) is 33' 1"... where the LOA is important is that that is how much space you are taking up physically. The Parker 2520's are NOT 33' boats. You do not count the pulpit, nor the Armstrong bracket. Yes the Armstrong (and some other) brackets have an airspace, and add some buoyancy, but they are 'bolt-on', and removable, and are not actually part of the hull. There is much 'controversy' over this issue. I had a difficult time 'discussing' this with my insurance carrier.
Tonnage, as you are referring to is not a 'weight' admeasurement, but a 'volume admeasurement', often used when you are trying to get a boat Federally 'Documented' . Is this what you are trying to do? are referring to? I've done so with my past boats; the 27 footer was boarder-line; but he 35 footer easily qualified. In general, most boats 24' and under would not qualify; a Parker 2520 is 'boarder-line'.... In the 1970's through 1990's there was an advantage to getting a vessel 'documented' . In most/all?? cases you did not have to have, and/or pay for the annual 'state' registration. There were No State numbers on the hull required, nor the costs of doing so..... At this time, most (all??) states now require both! So, the old 'documentation' advantage, in most cases/states is not longer valid.... There still exists some advantages to having a boat 'federally documented'; ex. large boats that visits foreign ports on regular basis, and a few more legal advantages (for large boats), but boats the size of Parkers are not part usually part of this issue....
Thank you Andy for your response. (And all your replies on the site!!)

I'm just filling out the USCG form with information about my boat, not trying to document it. I'm just hoping to put the correct info and hopefully get bumped up from a 25T to a 50T MMC.

I'll use 25'4" for the length as the Armstrong bracket is bolted on and removable.

Hoping someone has already calculated the "depth" and, less importantly, maybe the tonnage of a 2520 XL MV.

I incorrectly put the draft for depth and left tonnage empty last time and it wasn't a problem.

Thanks, Angel

Thank you!

OVERALL DIMENSION$
side of the hull.
Here's what the USCG recommends/requires? for tonnage admeasurement... in short, following this formula, a Parker 2520 would be about 4.03 tonnes... (the depth number is a bit 'fuzzy', so I'd call that a variable)
Formula; .67 X L X B X D divided by 100... Therefore; .67 X 25.33 X 9.5 X 2.5 divided by 100 = 4.03 tonnes.
Here's a simplified calculator that gives a different, but close answer; (It does not allow for decimals). Vessel Gross Tonnage Calculator | Delaware Business Incorporators, Inc.

For Federal Documentation, the USCG requires a vessel of 5 net tonnes (you often see this shortened to 'tons' which causes confusion; tons being a 2000 lb weight measurement, not the tonne volume measurement used for commercial and documentation 'admeasurement'.... so there is a 'fuzzy-area' with a 25 foot boat, as that is about the minimum size that could qualify if the beam and depth are large enough.... One reason for this is that the USCG Documentation was not originally meant to include recreational vessels, especially not for small recreational vessels... The original intent was for 'admeasurement' of large commercial vessels....
A few decades ago recreational boat owners started getting their boats federally documented for a variety of reasons
1) Some lending institutions required it for certain size and certain $$$ boats. (ex. We were required, when we bought our 35' CT in 19986).
2) Some did so, to save money, in the long-haul, because if your boat was documented, you were not required to have state-registration and numbering. When that changed, the $$$ advantage disappeared. (early on you could document your boat for about $150-$200... around $300-350 if you paid someone to do it for you).....
[Side Note; It was amazing how much headache this caused us at times. The NC Wildlife Officers were constantly 'pulling us over' to write us up for not having registration numbers; even after explaining, and proving the boat was documented they still wrote us up; we prevailed, but it took time and $$.
3) Some did because they travel in their boats to foreign ports (Bahamas, Mexico, Canada and elsewhere)... Being USA Federally Documented made it MUCH easier to clear customs, especially of your were a frequent visitor...
4) Some did just because they did not want to apply stickers to their boats

Thank you Andy for your response. (And all your replies on the site!!)

I'm just filling out the USCG form with information about my boat, not trying to document it. I'm just hoping to put the correct info and hopefully get bumped up from a 25T to a 50T MMC.

I'll use 25'4" for the length as the Armstrong bracket is bolted on and removable.

Hoping someone has already calculated the "depth" and, less importantly, maybe the tonnage of a 2520 XL MV.

I incorrectly put the draft for depth and left tonnage empty last time and it wasn't a problem.

Thanks, Angel
You are welcome, but I thank YOU! Seeing stuff like this gives me an opportunity to 're-learn' it and/or to brush up on the new versions. I used to teach this stuff, and I helps me see how rusty I am! ☺
The tonnage as it applies to this, for practical purposes and for admeasurement, would be almost exactly the same for a 2520 XL MV and a 2520 XLD. The gunnel height to the water is slightly less with the MV than with the DV, and then to add the draft, there is about 4" difference......
Not to add more, (I've been accused of TMI... 'I asked for the time', don't need to know how the clock is made!") But I'll do the following in case someone is reading this that might want to 'document' their boat.... Re-reading the definition of 'D', and the criteria for determining it, a Parker 2520 could qualify for 'documentation'.... The 'air-draft' of the 2520 is 49" at the bow. 46.5" near the mid-ship cleat, 37" actual mid-ship, and 34.5" aft at the stern. (This is an average of 42").... Then add the draft of the boat that would cover the definition as stated, then the 'D' for a Parker 2520 XLD would be 60" /5'.... To redo their formula .67 X L (25.33') X B (9.5') X D (5.0') divided by 100 = 8.06 tonnes....
The only thing I can say with uncertainty ☺for certain, is that the USCG definition of 'D" has changed since the 1980', or has been re-interpreted, or maybe it is just now, better defined.

Last edited:
You are welcome, but I thank YOU! Seeing stuff like this gives me an opportunity to 're-learn' it and/or to brush up on the new versions. I used to teach this stuff, and I helps me see how rusty I am! ☺
The tonnage as it applies to this, for practical purposes and for admeasurement, would be almost exactly the same for a 2520 XL MV and a 2520 XLD. The gunnel height to the water is slightly less with the MV than with the DV, and then to add the draft, there is about 4" difference......
Not to add more, (I've been accused of TMI... 'I asked for the time', don't need to know how the clock is made!") But I'll do the following in case someone is reading this that might want to 'document' their boat.... Re-reading the definition of 'D', and the criteria for determining it, a Parker 2520 could qualify for 'documentation'.... The 'air-draft' of the 2520 is 49" at the bow. 46.5" near the mid-ship cleat, 37" actual mid-ship, and 34.5" aft at the stern. (This is an average of 42").... Then add the draft of the boat that would cover the definition as stated, then the 'D' for a Parker 2520 XLD would be 60" /5'.... To redo their formula .67 X L (25.33') X B (9.5') X D (5.0') divided by 100 = 8.06 tonnes....
The only thing I can say with uncertainty ☺for certain, is that the USCG definition of 'D" has changed since the 1980', or has been re-interpreted, or maybe it is just now, better defined.

Andy,

Thanks for the in depth answer. I'm not near my boat and will use the 46.5" as the "D" as the draft may not be included in the "D" variable as in CG definition below. (My underlining for emphasis). I understand that the actual "D" measurement (& tonnage) may be a few inches more.

the hull, excluding the keel.

1646836493940.png

1646836477938.png

So taking 46.5" as D, I calculate:

D = 46.5"/12 = 3.875'
L=25'4" = 25.3'
B = 9' 6" = 9.5'

Gross Tonnage = (.67 x L x B x D) divided by 100

=(.67) x (25.3') x (9.5') x ( 3.875' ) = 6.24 TONS at a minimum! It may be more if you include the draft.

Thanks, Angel.

I had calculated approx a little over 6 tons myself on my 2003 2520 XL for my coast guard application. Have you ever owned a larger boat. I had previously owned several including a 32’. Which I went to the MD DNR and retrieved records of all the boats I had owned and included sea time for all on my initial application. If you spent time on another persons boat and helped/ mated you can use that time and have the person sign off on it. My largest as I mentioned was a 32’. At the time I applied for the masters license 8 years ago I had the Parker and they gave me a 50 ton license, I hope this helps

Back