Using boat during winter

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiprec13

Reaction score
OK so the "Stuff It" has been mostly a pick nic boat for us this past summer and is now being used for diving by my brother in law. (Its a family boat being kept in water north of Boston)

My questions and concerns are,

Is there anything I need to know about using the boat in cold weather in regards to the engine and electronics? (2520 XL 04 Yamaha 225 4 stroke)

If the winter is mild like last year he wants to leave it in all winter. Either on our mooring or possibly at a sheltered marina.

Otherwise haul the boat for Jan. to Mar. but not winterize it? I think if the boat is going to sit out of the water its best to winterize the engine.

Anybody on here use their boat all year long in cold weather or have some sage advice for me?

You really need to leave the OB motor tilted DOWN if you do. Tipping it UP out of the water in colder temps can cause water to collect in the prop and LU bulb via the exhaust channel (remember you have thru-prop exhaust) and such water can freeze and cause severe damage.

Many boats around here do so, but I believe they use either bubblers or those underwater motors around the boat to keep the water moving so that no standing ice forms.

I once used a small skiff until 16Feb one year, but it was darn ccccccold when I went to winterize that motor! I'm older and wise now ... I let others chase the late season geese ...

Like I tell my dad sometimes-These things are meant to be in the water-they are boats not RV's.

We have stayed in the water year round and also hauled the end of January or so.

Keep engines tilted down so the LU does not freeze. If we are not using the boat we make sure to go down and start it every 2 weeks or so. No problems with electronics they seem to work as normal. We are usually checking on it every few days

I think the boat stays much cleaner keeping it in a slip compared to hauling and covering. This makes it much nicer when you go to do the detailing in the spring.

Keep in mind you do have to check on it during snow storms. 2009 and 2010 we had to shovel the boat out a few times over the winter with the bad storms. You dont want a situation where the scuppers are getting under water because of all the snow/slush on the boat. Where we keep the boat we do not have to worry about the river freezing.

The added bonus is you can go take a boat ride on those nice days to help break cabin fever.

I keep mine on a lift and used it all last winter it was great being such a mild winter, I put on 50 hrs between November and March. One of my concerns was to call the local tow boats to make sure someone was still in the water if I needed help. One thing is if you are leaving the boat in the water and expect the water to freeze get the bubblers in early before it starts. Don't wait to go buy one have it on hand. I put them out around my pier. Once the water has frozen it takes a while for them to open things back up, so get them in early.

I've left mine in and fished for the past two years. No issue with electronics. As far as keeping it at the dock, in addition to the bubblers and keeping the engine down with the lower unit in the water, I suggest you winterize any holding tanks, sinks, toilets, washdowns, etc. I also leave the seacocks closed. If I hear of extreme cold on the way, I throw a little safe non toxic (if such a thing) anti freeze in the bilge. Watch your scuppers and drainage. Scuppers can freeze closed. Even if the temperature rises to 40 degrees, many parts stay shaded and the sun/warm temperature doesn't thaw them out. Make sure they are clear so that water can drain. If you use a bubbler, be careful when leaving and docking. If you don't raise the engine or move the bubbler, you'll get the lines caught in your prop. As far as running the boat, I give it a bit more time to warm up and watch for ice away from your slip and while running. The only real issue I've had using the boat in the winter is ice on the deck and dock. Slippery as hell! And be prepared for all of the staining and grownth on the lower unit that will occur. Its amazing what grows in cold water and it really stains the paint on your engine.

Had some of the best bottom fishing in years last year right through February. Planning on doing the same this winter.

Back