Valentine's Day Catch

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougP

Reaction score
Wife wanted Tuna. So we went on a 24 hour party boat trip out of Port Aransas, Texas for Valentine's Day. I know it's not on a Parker, but we went 64 miles offshore and my little Parker won't make that trip with the small weather window we had for good sea's and weather, or probably any other time :? forecast was for 2'-4' seas on saturday increasing to 3'-5' seas on sunday with a front coming in on sunday. well the winds stayed southerly but did increase along with the waves.

I dubbed it the lonely heart's trip because my wife was the only female on board and the other guys must not of had a Valentine to take care of, anyway. We had 15 fisherman on board total of 123 Blackfin Tuna, 12 amber jack, 6 kingfish (small), 1 horse eyed jack, 1 bee liner snapper, 2 grouper. I caught the first grouper and my first it wieghed 45 pounds, a second grouper was caught weighing 62 pounds.

Most of the guys on board were regular customers and brought Shimano 30 or 50 two speed reels. the grouper i caught was on one of these, i cant remember which now, the capt pushed the button to low speed and wow, i really gained line then. gotta get me one of those, maybe two :D . yes it was my first time to use a two speed reel.

We managed to bring in 12 tuna, 1 amber jack, 1 king and 1 grouper. lost about 4 more tuna. i know i lost one to not switching out the split ring and treble hook on the new tuna jig i bought just before we left :cry:

one of the high points of the trip was when the wife told me we need to move up to a 25SC :shock: 8) :D so we can go out and catch our own tuna.

I tought it was a great birthday(mine), Valentine's and President's day weekend. Now I have to go put away a 120 quart ice chest full of fish fillets.

Oh, wife pan seared some tuna with butter, olive oil, garlic, pepper and sea salt last night for dinner with a big ole baked potato, good stuff. The cold front blew in just as we pulled in the driveway with 25mph plus gust of wind or we would have grilled the tuna.

Attachments

• DSCF0931 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0931 (Medium).JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF0969 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0969 (Medium).JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF0984 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0984 (Medium).JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF0977 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0977 (Medium).JPG
    88 KB · Views: 163
Thanks, and yes all blackfin tuna.

I asked about Yellow fin tuna, i was told we have to make it to the floater rigs another 30 or so miles out, that would make it about 90 miles offshore, and they offer that trip. it is a 48 hour trip, takes about 9 hours to get to the rigs on the boat we were on

we came home early because the fish boxes were full. we left at noon on saturday and got back to the docks at about 830 am sunday. 250 dollars a person for this trip.

Latest posts

Back