Varnish problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsterling

Reaction score
I have a new to me 1990 Parker and am refurbishing the woodwork (cabin doors and cabinets beside both seats), which was badly weathered. After sanding to good wood, I put two coats of West System, then applied a coat of Epifanes varnish. I didn't thin the varnish as the instructions indicated, which in hindsight was a mistake. I applied the varnish on the top and sides of the doors, with the intent to turn the doors over the next day and varnish that side. I found that although most of the surfaces cured, there were some areas, particularly the underside where the varnish settled from the bottom of the sides, where it was still soft and gummy. After a couple of days, I sanded the varnish back to the epoxy surface. I encountered some areas that appeared to be amine bloom, as it was waxy. I sanded all of these areas until they were "clean". After sanding, I thoroughly washed the pieces. After reading many accounts of people having problems with Epifanes over epoxy, I switched to Captain's varnish. I prepped by wiping all surfaces with acetone, then applied the Captain's varnish. After drying 24 hours, some of the areas on the edge were gummy when I went to sand for the second coat. All of the top surfaces sanded well, but there were some gummy areas at the bottom of the sides. The work is being done in a garage with a dehumidifier, so humidity is around 40%. I'm letting it dry for another 24 hours, but not confident it will be dry tomorrow night. Also, the doors are sitting on blocks to keep the sides from touching anything. Any ideas? At this point, I'm wishing I would have used tung oil instead of epoxy and varnish.

After you encapsulated the wood in epoxy resign......You should have shot it with Clear Awlgrip.......A superior finish and durability to what you used.......Now it will need rework every 2yrs.

Back