ventilation for condensation in the bilge....

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. John Deering

Reaction score
i have read the post and seen the pic that dale provided with his pvc "trap".

i recently pulled some new wiring over the fuel tank for a new piece of electronics.......and noticed condensation on top of the tank.

so hear is my question. i have a 23 se with two access plates to the fuel tank. one behind the live well for the pick-up tube and sending unit, and the other inside the console for the fill hose and vent.

don't you need an "open vent" on both access plates fro proper ventilation, not just one? i believe dales' pic illustrates his 2" vent at the rear of the boat, i thought about that and it seems as though it would be e-z to trip on?

so do you need two vents or is one good enough, if you need two any alternatives to having one stick out behind the console?

Capt. John Deering":zrx0fjaf said:
Don't you need an "open vent" on both access plates fro proper ventilation, not just one? So do you need two vents or is one good enough, if you need two any alternatives to having one stick out behind the console?
Yes, I agree you need 'some other means' for inlet or exhaust. In the case of my 2520, the rear of the fuel tank compartment has a 4" hole cut in the vertical bulkhead where the fuel lines run into the stern. Now upforward, I believe the tank area only 'vents' to the bow are via the bilge, which may not be a venting area at all.

What I do is completely remove the 8" access plate that is inside the helm cabin so no moisture is likely to buildup in the cabin and hopefully within the bilge. Remember also that I have a dorade box on my cabin top that will likely most always face into the wind, so this provides positive airflow into the helm cabin.

That is why I put my vent trap on the stern, more as to exhaust any excess moisture. FWIW I have never seen any moisture or evidence thereof on or nearby my tank sine doing this.

Capt. John Deering":zrx0fjaf said:
i believe dales' pic illustrates his 2" vent at the rear of the boat, i thought about that and it seems as though it would be e-z to trip on?
It sure ould be! 2 things ... I don't run the boat with it on, I'll replace it with the flat cover and then, my large 124-quart cooler is placed immediately forward of this access port, so you sort of need to walk around the cooler anyway. That said, yes, I have tripped on it before ...

I think if I were in your case, I'd remove the cap/cover that is up under the console. If worried about water that could get down in there if a HUGE wave broke ovr your stern and ran up the hull, you could also just take another spare/extra cover that fits that deck plate and affix an 8" to 12" tube to it, sized 3-4" in diameter, if not more, that acts like a 'collar' to prevent water from an errant wave from getting down into the bilge. A piece of screening could easily be affixed to the top of this tube or collar, more like a stand-pipe concept.

Does this info help?

thanks dale, i think your concept of removing the access plate in the console is a good idea, also making a vent similar to yours on the rear plate is a good option.........just another thing to do...changing out for a solid one before departure.

the access covers are tempress correct??

ps: dale, your ventalation project kept the tank/bilge area dry without any type of fan to pull the air, correct? also, why not leave your invention installed in the winter?

Back