Vintage OEM Upholstery Replacement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbigma

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This project is a "no-brainer" if you have a vintage model ClassicParker like me with upholstery that has that well worn look. All you’ll need is a screwdriver, hammer and staple gun to complete the job in less than an hour. Nothing will improve the look of your vintage ClassicParker cabin like a new set of upholstered seats. And if it’s the Admiral’s favorite perch, you’ll also get lots of bonus points for making her time aboard a lot more comfy. :wink: :wink:

Although this project was specific to a single pedestal companion seat and backrest, the same procedure will apply for almost any configuration and model of OEM ClassicParker upholstery.

My companion seat cushion and backrest were both heavily used over eight seasons and showed significant wear and discoloration that no amount of scrubbing or upholstery cleaners could fix. It’s not like they were cut or damaged, but just plain old worn out. The foam cushions had compressed and broken down from wear, and the leading edge of the seat was almost flat with the piping worn through.

worn.jpg

My biggest challenge would have been to find an exact match for the color, material type, and style of the rest of the upholstery on my model year 2000 2520MV ClassicParker . As luck would have it, the former OEM manufacturer of Parker Upholstery, Coastal Canvas, has come forward and offered a limited quantity of original ClassicParker Upholstery Material for direct sale to us ClassicParker Enthusiasts. Here is a link to their offer in the ClassicParker For Sale or Wanted Forum. Parker OEM cushion fabric for sale

I simply sent them an email with a description of the seat (single pedestal with separate backrest) the model, year and dimensions of the upholstery to be replaced. In a few days I had a complete set of pre-stitched and pre-formed seat covers delivered for a quick installation. They take all the guesswork out of size, color-matching , fabric type, stitching style etc. It’s an EXACT replacement for the original! What’s not to like? 8) 8)

I had forgotten how good new upholstered seats could look until I put them side by side with the old ones

compare.jpg

I extracted the screws from under the pedestal seat that held the plywood seat bottom in place, flipped the seat over and removed the staples that held the vinyl on. I was careful to mark the underside of the plywood with the location of the front of the seat, and the back seam of the old cover, so I would have the correct orientation of the new cover and the screw holes would align with the bottom when I replaced them.

staplesout.jpg

Simply move the plywood from the old cushion to the new one, staple with stainless steel (Monel, or other marine grade staples) and you are done!

staplesin.jpg

staples.jpg

I finished the job with an extra tap of the staples into the vinyl as my old Arrow T-50 stapler had lost a little bit of “oomph”.

hammertime.jpg

If you have a vintage ClassicParker this is a quick and easy way to restore a bit of showroom condition to the old girl.

finished.jpg

I have no affiliation with Coastal Canvas, just a satisfied customer. I got a great product at a very reasonable price. I love it when things work as advertised, and I believe this is a rare opportunity for owners of vintage ClassicParker boats to conduct easy DIY OEM restoration on a budget and make a huge impact on interior cabin appearance. The folks at Coastal Canvas are wonderful to work with.

John

Cbigma,

I already purchased "the skins" for my companion seat as well. I'm planning to do the project over the winter. Coastal also sent a bunch of extra piping along with the order (looks like they did the same with you in the one pic). Any idea why they would have included it? Thought maybe it was to be used where you staple to allow for extra strength??

-Jim

PS I agree - Coastal was great to deal with...

jpg1969":2a1yxeej said:
..... Coastal also sent a bunch of extra piping along with the order (looks like they did the same with you in the one pic). Any idea why they would have included it? Thought maybe it was to be used where you staple to allow for extra strength??...

Jim,

I thought the same thing about the piping, but realized in my case that it would interfere with the flush seating of the plywood on the pedastal. Maybe on some models the piping is added around the base as a decorative accent?

I also picked up a couple of battery-box cushions from them, 'cause I have the old style battery-box seat top snap cushions and the Gulls at my slip are unmerciful.

John

Beautiful work, and an excellent upgrade to any ClassicParker!

Kudos to Coastal Canvas for stepping up to service the ClassicParker membership! 8)

Have to set the record straight. Coastal Canvas is -still- manufacturing a majority of Parker upholstery. When they "switched brands" of upholstery Parker changed just the Fabric, not the Fabricator. :lol: :lol:

Which I think is really good news. Coastal is a class act and its good to know they are still on the Parker OEM vendor list. 8)

Back