Virginia: Offshore Fishing on the Escape Hatch

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
Saturday, July 3

We were up at our house at 3:30 AM. The plan was to leave the dock at Willis Wharf at 5 AM. Karen and I stopped at the early morning coffee and gas place and made our final preparations.

We met Monte and Frank who are our usual offshore crew. Karen brought a blanket and a pillow and with temps around 65 and no wind we started the 12 mile ride to the inlet on slick calm water.

From the inlet sights were set on 26 mile hill where last week there was a very good Blue fin bite. We had 2 to 3 foot swells from the east with a light north wind. The sun came up and all was good.

As we approached the hill we could see there were already a dozen boats before us with more on the way. We set out a spread of 9 to 10 lines that included the usual assortment from a cedar plug on the short flats to ballyhoo and islanders on the riggers and a couple of Green Machines at 100 and 200 yards back.

We trolled.... and trolled. We didn't see one hook up on any other boats and while last week the charter boat captains were busy with reports this week was silent. Noon arrived with nothing in the box and not even a knockdown.

But we are used to not catching and this really didn't dampen our good time with all the usual stories. The really good ones were told for maybe the 3rd or 4th time over the last 5 years.

Last week when I was out on "Playin Hooky" we left the hill around 1 and headed east where we found a 55lb bluefin. When something works... repeat it.

Around 1230 we headed east. Now we had nothing to do but eat and talk. We spotted a couple of turtles and I saw a flying fish go by. Around 130 I was checking the spread and had my hands on the rod with the bird and green machine checking the drag when it went off. FISH!

Frank took over and we cleared some lines. Before long we saw the color and got the 12 lb mahi in the boat. Beautiful fish!

All it takes for us is one fish and we are all good even if nothing else happens. However, we managed to get some lines tangled up and in the prop which is never a good thing. We did this about 3 years ago and I went in the water to clear it. This time Frank volunteered. The job was easy and no sharks showed up to bite his toes.

Back to trolling. Now the spread included a green machine way back on an Okuma 50W minus 100 yards of line.... still plenty... But when the next fish hit and started shredding line I got a bit worried. I took this one and felt it was a decent fish and watched line going out. Monte had the wheel and I had him bring the boat around to keep the fish off the starboard side so if it ran it wouldn't take as much. We made good quick progress and before long had a plan. Monte was ready to handle the leader and Frank had the gaff. The last 50 yards seemed to be straight down where this fish wanted to be. As it came up we could see tuna and no measurements were required. It all came together and with just a little but of confusion Frank gaffed it and got it over the side. It was his first gaff ever.

Although there has been no Yellowfin bite to speak of we caught a stray 42 lb fish about 7 miles east of 26 mile hill. We tried a little longer for another and picked up 2 more mahi at 7 and 3.5 lbs.

At 330 we picked it up and ran in.

Here is what we learned:

There really isn't any reason to get up early in the morning although it is best to do this to avoid work at home.

Getting line tangled in props should be avoided but warm ocean water makes it a bit easier.

The tuna was attracted to Frank's underwear we had flying on the center rigger pole.... a little known technique but one we will try again!

Go off in undisturbed water with no other boats in sight to find the best fish... this happens with us more often than not.

Here is a link to pics of the day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33755787@N ... 2930/show/

I'm off to NC to work Monday... back home Tuesday to turn around Wednesday to leave for 3 glorious weeks of vacation in Alaska!

I'll keep you posted.

Richard

Nice looking boat! Is that your house in the picture? Dying to get a place at the shore again after a 10 year drought since the last one was sold. Going to make a run to the Fingers possibly next week, hoping for Tuna, either fishing out of my 2120 SC or my buddies 23SC. I saw your post on Tidal Fish as well, thanks for the information.

Back