Wannabe from Chesapeake, Va

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotChrist?

Reaction score
Good afternoon. I've been a browser of this forum for a year or more. Decided to register and ask if anyone is near the northern side of Baltimore. There is a '99 25 sport cabin for sale in that area. They may be familiar with this particular boat or could give it an once over for me.

Persently I have a 21 Starcraft cc w/135 Mercury. It's a bit light for the Chesapeake Bay slop I see at the mouth of the bay. At times the ocean is calmer than the bay. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Do most of you wet slip or dry store?

Blessings,
John

John... We have a number of members in the northern end of the Bay, but if you are serious about this boat, you might want to have a marine surveyor give it a once-over for you.
It could be money well spent. :wink:
Google "marine surveyor, upper Chesapeake" and you should get a list of qualified people who can help you.

As for wet slip versus trailering... Understand that a 2520 on it's trailer will easily go 10,000 pounds.
Do you have a tow vehicle that can handle that? If so, your options open up. If not, a wet slip could make perfect sense.

I do not have a tow vehicle for my 1996 2520 MVSC, so I wet slip and it has been a very good option for me.
As always... YMMV! :)

Thanks, Kevin. I have a 96 Dodge 2500 w/Cummins. I think it should tow it fine, though I may be wrong. Come to think of it, its rated for 8800lbs. I do not have the space to store it at my house. My 21 fits down the side of my house inches from the privacy fence. The cables/wires coming into my home are a low, too. I live on a narrow street with deep ditches. Not conducive for a large rig.

My thought was forum members may have seen this boat and could give a thumbs up or down before I make a 6 hour drive to look it over. If its in good shape as the owner described, I'd hire a surveyor.

Do you wish you had gone DV instead of MV on yours? I do most of my fishing/boating at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. It's usually snotty down here. Even with less than one foot waves, it can be a rough ride sometimes. I've had nicer days on the ocean coming out of Rudee inlet than I have on the bay. I'm waiting for the seller to look at the title to ensure it's a DV. Our local dealer (Norfolk Marine) has a bad habit of calling the 16 deg MV a DV. They've had some great end of year sales where the 25 MV was $49k.

I get pounded enough with my light weight tin boat. I sure don't want to move up to a Parker and find I'm in the same boat - slow and pounding. I do like the miserly fuel consumption my Starcraft delivers : ) Launch out of Little Creek, fish all day up and back to Fisherman's Island and burn 15-16 gallons. I did 52 miles one day in some nasty stuff and still burnt about the same. I wasn't much off idle due to size of waves. The 25 Parker next to me wasn't doing much better. It was right after Nor'Ida went thru.

John

That Dodge.Cummins setup should tow her just fine.
If you decide to tow her, take her to a set of scales to get her true weight, then make sure the trailer (and your hitch) is in good shape.

I've been to the CBBT quite a few times in modified vee boats, and they did fine. We have some other members here who hail from that area as well.
If you go to the top of the page and access the "user control panel", put your location in your profile so nearby folks can chime in.

There has been lots of discussion here on the deep vee versus modified vee pros and cons.
The answer is... there really is no clear winner. Both designs have their pros and cons, and their fans.

My boat is actually the older MVSC design with a 14 degree deadrise (no longer produced), and I like it just fine.
When the Bay gets bumped up, I have to slow down, but 24x9 Bennett trim tabs made a world of difference in her ride.
I also like the economy of a single motor on this hull.
Coming back in yesterday from fishing, I ran just a tick under 34kts at 5100 rpm @ WOT with full fuel, 2 people, and all my gear aboard in flat water. Pretty good for a 15 year old 225 OX66.

There are CP members with both DV's and MV's located on the VAES and in the area around VA Beach, so maybe you could get a ride on each to ease your mind.
Bottom line? You can't really go wrong with either hull.

Good luck!

Thanks, updated my location. That is a good thing, especially when trying to buy a boat and looking for location, such as on Hull Truth. Most sellers forget to include their location.

If anyone has a 23 or 25 MV or DV and would take me out for a short ride or I'll accompany you on a day of fishing, please let me know. I'll be glad to pay for gas. Presently I'm working part time and off this week (June 6-10) and can go out any day this week.

And if anyone is a skilled fisherman in this area (Chesapeake/Virginia beach/Noroflk) please, please, please may I tag along with you or you with me? I'm having the hardest time figuring this area out. So many species, so many tackle options. Whatever happened to the simple choices I grew up with, worms or minnows? :?

GotChrist?":3uv9inl3 said:
And if anyone is a skilled fisherman in this area (Chesapeake/Virginia beach/Noroflk) please, please, please may I tag along with you or you with me? I'm having the hardest time figuring this area out. So many species, so many tackle options. Whatever happened to the simple choices I grew up with, worms or minnows? :?

I might be able to help there as well. Tidalfish.com has several areas devoted to that part of the fishing world.
Like with CP, sit down, read up, and ask questions. TF will give you insight into what works in those waters. :wink:

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/forum.php

Good luck!

John, Just read your post. I have an older 94 2520 and keep it at Vining's Landing Marina. Hope you enjoy your Parker. If you are going to trailer the boat, please remember your boat will be over the legal limit and you will have to get an oversize permit for trailering. I had considered trailering tht but suffered from "white knuckle disease" when pulling my Kencraft Challenger a few years ago. It is unbelievable how many idiots are out there that think you can stop your rig on a dime!
As far as fishng is concerned, I am far from an expert. You can always go to http://vbsf.net/
to get fishing tips for our area.

Joe

Back