Washdown pump not working

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Great Catch Charters

Reaction score
Hi all,
My washdown pump on my 2330 seemed to go bad all of a sudden. With the switch on, it won't work but you can barely hear a slight "crackle" or boiling sound coming from the pump. I figured the pump was no good. I bought a new pump and its doing the same thing?

I see the hot wire is brown with a green stripe and it looks to go directly to the rocker switch. The switch is for the washdown and bait well. I don't have a bait well but there is a brown and white wire on the bait well side.

These switches are new to me. I assume the rubber button next to the switch is a circuit breaker? Nothing seems popped? Any suggestions? Bad switch? Are these standard switches you can replace at West Marine?
Any help is appreciated!

Jim

I'd disconnect inlet and/or outlet piping to the pump(s) and re-try it ... sounds like a blockage in the water flow to me ...

Looks like I solved the problem. The genius that did the wiring kinked the wire in the aft bilge badly and the wire was breached. The pump was barely getting any voltage. I spliced the wire in the starboard after compartment ran a new wire and it's good is new.

Unfortunately this was after I bought and installed a new pump and ran a jumper wire to the new pump and sucked in seawater so now I can't bring it back!

That's kind of what I figured. What's amazing is the wire is thick. Like a 10 gauge. Hard to believe it failed but the saltwater does some bad stuff.

The harness is all wrapped up tight too. I wasn't able to snake it out without breaking apart the entire harness along the stern. I simply cut the bad section and left it there as to not disturb the rest of the harness. Not sure why they didn't feed the wires separately through a conduit section or loose clamps so you can replace it easily.

Great catch, I don’t check the boards much anymore so I hope you get this. I had a very similar problem years back. (Huge voltage drop at the pump). The wires are in a wiring harness that’s why they are taped together. My problem was an automotive type plug in the factory wiring. It was in the starboard corner and hard to get to.

If you have any more problems check that out. I’d try to find it and seal it up when you have time, as I had to replace all the wires that were involved.

Great Catch Charters":2cacj5jc said:
PS-- both red lights do come on with the switch if you put it to washdown or over to bait well.

That just means you have Power at the switch.....Down the line needs to be checked at the pump.

Back