Water in gearcase ???

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamR

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the second season that I am doing the winterization of my motor (98' Johnson 115 FICHT). Last season, no problem. Today, the gearcase oil came out a little milky. No metal debris thought. Is the only part that I should inspect/replace the thrust bushing? I have the service manual for the motor but I can't find the part number :oops:

Any tips on lower unit service for a newbie?

Many thanks,
Sam

You need to replace the seals in the lower unit. There is one on the prop shaft and one on the drive shaft. The job is a little involved and generally not for a newbie. If you are mechanically inclined should be doable job.

You already have the service manual, read up on the section about replacing lower unit seals. While you are at it you might as well replace the water-pump
because you have to remove it to get at the upper seal.

Another option this time of year is to pull the lower unit and bring it into a shop. Do it now before they get busy in the spring. I just pulled mine today and will be performing this on boat lower units this winter.

Unless it was really bad, I would refill with new oil and put the drain/vent screws back in with new gaskets. Then go out and run it around for a while. Drain it again and if the oil looks good, refill with new and put new gaskets on the screws. Could be as simple as a failed screw gasket.

If you want to have it looked at, be sure your mechanic pressure and vacuum tests it before tearing into the seals...unless it's blatently obvious one of them is bad.

Back