Water Pump Failure

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
Symptoms..... noticed there seemed to be a weaker stream and had a couple of overheat alarms at idle that went away quickly as soon as I increased RPM. Never had a problem running at speed.

Here is what I found: The material in the outlet channel is hard welded plastic.

4996969271_1e3e92929c.jpg

4996968587_09ee1d7df1.jpg

4997575380_e7eb4ef69d_z.jpg

I'm glad I checked it..... Complete pump had about 80 hours and about 10 months of service.

Thoughts... comments?

That pump was run dry. The white pump housing was melted by heat from friction. The impeller also got heated. The good news is that it looks like no parts of the impeller or pump housing got into the water passages in the engine. I have seen the exact same thing before. The water level at a minimum has to be at the cavitation plate and not merely covering the water inlets on the lower housing. Replace both housing and impeller.
Ray

Yes... it ran dry for a very short time about 40 hours ago. I was offshore and had some line tangled up in the prop. I tilted the engine up to use a knife duct taped to a pole and left the engine running.... a bit longer than I anticipated. I'm sure that is when it happened.

I always change the complete system. Waiting on the brown truck Monday or Tuesday.

esfishdoc":1q7df32x said:
I was offshore and had some line tangled up in the prop. I tilted the engine up to use a knife duct taped to a pole and left the engine running .... a bit longer than I anticipated.

:shock:

Very GLAD you saved that motor!

Back