Water Pump fun and Dremel tools!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonas grumby

Reaction score
Due to time constraints (being the dad/ coach of kids that play multiple sports) I have always paid someone to do my PM work on my Yamaha 115 4-stroke. Since I have performed mechanical work on platforms that are designed to do everything from go very far underwater and do really cool stuff to platforms that weigh 94k tons and launch war-fighting jets, I figured I should start doing my own work just to save a little cash. I watched a tutorial and felt like I was educated enough to "get 'er done". All went well until I got to the impeller retainer. That sucker was tighter than Dick's hatband and sparks were literally flying off as I pried against it with two 16" screwdrivers. Time to break out the old Dremel and cut a relief slot, (that's why the make replacement parts) done. OK, now on to the woodruff shaft key. Chisled her in half and not even a frog's hair of movement! Out comes the Dremel again. I placed a cutting wheel next to the wooruff and believe it or not, they are the exact same diameter. I proceeded to cut a relief slot in the center length-wise and eased her out w/ Vice grips. I hope this may be of help to someone out there. By the way, there is a good reason that anti-seizing compounds were invented!

I have two Dremels, one is the typical hand held motor tool and one that has the motor attached to the chuck with a flex-shaft.
When you need something to trim a protruding stainless bolt on the boat... nothing else will do. :wink:

Jonas,

Same issues with the woodruff key on the impeller. It is an interference fit like a fitted bolt at least on the Yamaha's I've worked on. I've used hammers, heat, drift pins, etc (none of which are good for the LU drive shaft seal). The last time I did mine I bought a new key and milled a couple thousandths off. Now with the milling and anti seize it shouldn't be a problem getting out the next time.

yup had the same problem, i greased the hell out of the new one and sanded it down a little for a better fit, definitely a common problem

Latest posts

Back