Water pump?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffwilliam

Reaction score
Another question from the newest owner. I have a 2004 2120DVSC powered by a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. Ran the engine with hose coupling attachment for 3-4 minutes at most. Everything looked great. THEN I read the manual and it said only to run with ear muffs. When I started it up with water flowing from earmuffs,,,the water didn't shoot out the back, so I shut off after 30-45 seconds. Did I damage something or what? For the love of God, NO! Would at least like to get it in water before breaking it. The engine only has 81 hrs.

Thanks,
Bill

Engine has to be on muffs, hose flush is for a engine that is OFF only, to get my engine to pee out hole when on muffs i have to remove that grate on the inlet otherwise i do not get enough water flowing. You can screw up a water pump in seconds without water going to it, if i was you i would change it as it is a maintance item that has to be changed anyway. You might have damaged pump or you might not of but while boat is out it is easier and cheaper if you do. Be careful when running a engine on muffs stay attentive to what is going on with temp and that muffs do not shift on lower unit. I highly doubt you did any real engine damage. Good luck

If you didn't get any water out of the tell-tale,then it seems you might have burnt your water pump.The pump kit is about 67.50 plus change the thermostats.To get this done by a mechanic will probably run you 350-400.Only use that fitting at the end of the day,AFTER the engine is shut down. :shock:

350/400 for a water pump? do they give you a massage and dinner with that! :shock:

You'd think that wouldn't you,maybe even a happy ending....... :shock:
I had the pump done on my old boat when I hauled in Dec for a 150 Yami 2 stroke.I think with the 2 thermo stats it ran about 375.The first time I had it done by my marina it cost me a little over 4 bills.
Didn't anyone ever tell you owning a boat isn't cheap? :lol:

I have had the indicator stream fail on me several times. Each time it was either frozen or was blocked by mud dauber insect nest debris. When this happens, simply check the flow by loosening the flush hose to see if there is decent pressure. I let a frozen one thaw while idling; I have to ream out the hose with a stiff, yet flexible wire when blocked by insect nests.

I do not run the engine ever without it being in the water. I use a large 60 gallon plastic trash barrel to run it when on the trailer. No muffs. No pump damage from runnning when dry. I will be changing out the pump this spring @ 400 hours and three years old.

All my flushing is usually with engine off and followed by a quick Salt-Away rinse.

Back