What are these pedestals?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axeboat

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 1999 Parker 2501, in the bilge at the stern are these two platforms built. First off what are they for? 2 stroke oil tanks? Batteries? Second upon drilling into the port one to mount my wash down pump (in picture) the plywood came out absolutely wet. Is this a big deal? Or are they isolated ply/glass boxes attached to the pure glass hull and really no worry for concern?

Attachments

• 0EC6B337-E3DB-4D35-90F1-DC5AEDEC4147.jpeg
    0EC6B337-E3DB-4D35-90F1-DC5AEDEC4147.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 9F9A37A0-27E2-4DE0-A4A6-98DE4BA65F3F.jpeg
    9F9A37A0-27E2-4DE0-A4A6-98DE4BA65F3F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
That pump will last longer if it is mounted vertical...Up out of bilge water splash and mounting with motor at the top.

Yes....For Battery mounting

Attachments

• 20160302_150255.jpg
    20160302_150255.jpg
    897.6 KB · Views: 20
Gotcha, how about the fact that the plywood in them is wet? That’s not if structural worry right? The hull of the boat is wood less so am I correct in thinking they are glass covered ply boxes installed on top of the hull and not A worry hull strength wise?

They are not structural to the hull, just a mounting spot for batteries. Try drilling (but not all the way through to the other side) somewhere away from the existing holes to see if the moisture is everywhere or just at existing holes. If it’s all over you might look at having some work done so you have a stable core that will hold a screw to mount batteries. If it’s only near existing holes I’d just dry them out as best you can for a week then let them absorb epoxy to seal (but again don’t let it drip through to the other side and your hull drain pathways if the hole goes all the way through. If you’re lucky and it’s not everywhere, just fix the old holes as best you can and drill in fresh dry spots and seal those new holes to mount battery trays.

Back