What to look for during sea trial

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBH2OMan

Reaction score
Hopefully I'll be trialing a 2320 this weekend; I'm a novice boater and have trialed three or four other boats during my 18-month long search for the right one (this will be the first Parker, and I really hope the seller accepts my final offer). The trial will probably occur before haul-out, survey, and mech inspection just due to logistics. (BTW, other boats fell through because of poor handling or mechanical problems identified during survey)

It is a '93 equipped with a later model OX66 (250) on narrow style Armstrong bracket.

I've noticed with three guys in the cockpit (I weigh 160, the other weighs 175 and the third maybe 180) water burbles in and out of the ping-pong ball style scuppers. From what I read here, that is not uncommon (but its without the bait tank full) The boat lives in the water, so the scuppers have covers, but there is a lot of algae on the covers and around the bases of the scuppers - I'm hoping that the water is coming in just because the balls aren't sealing... The hull is remarkably clean and well-maintained.

Anyway, in past sea trials, I have taken boats through the no-wake zone to see how low-speed handling feels, then getting a few miles outside the harbor entrance to head up-swell, down swell, cross-swell (usually in 2-3' wind swell). I'll run up to typical cruise speed for a while in all directions, crossing my wake a few times. I'll play with the trim tabs to see if they get the nose up or down depending on conditions. I'll then do some hard turns to see how she behaves under "emergency" situations (cavitation, general handling). This boat has an analog GPH gauge (with a small LCD at the bottom which I assume shows total gallons consumed since reset), so I'll also be noting fuel economy. I'll also usually find a safe shallow spot to drop anchor then retrieve anchor just to see how she sits at anchor.

Is there anything else that you long term Parker owners recommend that I check during a sea trial?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I'm definitely hoping this is "the one" but I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller on my final offer.... (fingers crossed)....

Thanks in advance,

Put 'sea trial' into google and you'll get a few hits of various checklists that people use. In short, ALL systems should be verified for proper operation. Last one on the list ... "Are you sure THIS is the boat you want to put your $$ into?" Make it be an educated 'fact based' response (from your sea trial checks), not an emotional one.

Yes, that's where I started 12+ months ago, and I have plenty of "generic" info. I'm hoping for Parker-specific tidbits (if there are any). Such as "oh, if it suddenly shifts hard to port while getting up on plane, don't worry about it - all DV Parkers do that..." :mrgreen:

Thanks!

I'd find out what the maximum RPMs are for that motor and if a 6K max, I'd like to see no less than 5500 RPMs, if fairly full of fuel and with a dirty running bottom. "Ideally", you want that OB to be 200 off MAX in the Spring with gear always carried, 2 guys, and ~1/2 fuel.

The biggest ANY brand boat/motor rig pet peeve I have is that most wear, if aything, too steep a pitched prop (higher number) ... and is probably mounted too low on the transom to boot.

I can't comment on anything specific to that model, as I've never been on one.

I live in SB also and have a 95 2320. This vintage parker has the fuel tank further aft than they do now. I have a 45 gallon Pacific Edge bait tank in the cockpit. I also have a honda kicker and a Yamaha 2-stroke main but a notched transom. When loaded up with fuel and bait and ice...for tuna or extended islands trip the boat certainly sits low in the stern. I will ship some water on the deck though the scuppers and into the motor well. The ping pong ball type scuppers work far better than the flappers they replaced on my boat. It is a little unnerving but not a huge deal. I've seen the boat you are looking at many many times on the outside finger there near the CIH ramp. Always envied the bit of extra cabin space it has over mine.

When I seatrialed my boat I took my mechanic along and he ran the motor through some paces that I would have felt awkward doing. So far so good on my 2-stroke Yamaha but I have to admit I have been window shopping for a 4-stroke for the 5 years I've owned my boat. My boat also had a bit of the white powder on the top of the tank but it cleaned up ok and no visible leaks. Seems like a fair asking price for that boat. Good luck. Craig.

The 250 OX66 max RPM's are 5500. I turn 5400 on mine. You should see 5200 plus or start asking why.

Back