What's in YOUR ditch bag?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
I know I've seen this topic somewhere but I couldn't find it so I just wanted to add this note.

I'm an inventory of what I have and what I may need. Trying to get my "survival" stuff put together so I can forget about it.

Anyway, I found this site which has more chit about ditch bags than you can imagine. Just thought I'd pass it along. I started with Dale's and Kevin's list, thought I was doing ok, then came along this....

http://www.equipped.org/abndonship2.htm

Nice find! By posting that you reminded me to get a rescue streamer to add to my bag. That is a great addition to a ditch bag.

see-rescue18.jpg

ScoopsAhoy":iq4g77jc said:
thought I was doing ok, then came along this....
http://www.equipped.org/abndonship2.htm

Wow... that is quite a list on that site!
Some of that gear is a bit extreme for the area where I boat and fish.
Enema gear for emergency hydration? :shock:

My area has a good bit of pleasure and commercial boating traffic, so my bag went together accordingly with special emphesis on pyrotechnics.

I carry smokes, flares, 12ga and 25mm aerials, and more in zip-lock bags. One is marked "current" for pyrotechnics with expiration dates within USCG parameters. The other bag is marked "expired" for pyrotechnics that are out of date, but still useful in an emergency. I also carry a host of day and night signaling devices from signal mirrors, to dye markers, to Firefly strobe lights.

I also carry a personal EPIRB (ACR AquaFix 406 with Onboard GPS) and a Uniden Voyager waterproof VHF in the emergency bag, as well as a helm mounted VHF that is wired to my GPS and registered with a MMSI number for DSC emergency use.

For my area, I believe that I'm pretty well covered.

In addition to the above items, I keep a number of other safety items available if needed. Spare anchor and rode, tow bridle, sea anchor, battery jump-start, wooden plugs, spare fuses... Typical stuff.

For 'people emergencies', I have several first aid kits, space blankets, extra clothing, hats, gloves, sunglasses...

I keep all my 'stuff' in canvas totes or waterproof storage bags which makes the gear easier to store aboard, and easier to deploy when needed.

Do I carry too much gear? Probably... but that's just me.
What I do carry is tailored to where I boat, and the threats I'm likely to face. YMMV. :wink:

Megabyte":1oso4p0h said:
Enema gear for emergency hydration? :shock:

Uhhhh, I'll 'pass' on that, thank you very much ...

Hi I read a book titled adrift about 20 years ago. the guy was adrift for I think about 70 days, he used Enema gear for emergency hydration, it kept him alive. I think he had read about it in a book about the robinson family they also were adrift for some time. I think they had a nurse on board that new you could take sea water and the Enema and your body would not ingest the salt. I have been on the water for about 40 years and after reading adrift I came away with a whole lot more respect for the sea. if you get a chance read it.
just my staying alive thoughts.
I would like to thank all of you here on classic parker I have learned much and still learning.
thanks Billy

Latest posts

Back