What's that noise coming from my O/B?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
Was out Sunday and on the way in, I heard a continious squeking sound, kinda like what you hear on cars that have a worn belt.
Engine temp, pressure, everything checked out fine. Motor was peeing, all oil levels were fine. Checked the prop to make sure there was nothing wrapped around the hub. Nothing. Motor has about 49 hours on it.

Anyone ever experience this? Gotta get it fixed. Feels like I'm surrounded by hamsters on a wheel.

What you are hearing is common to all 4 strokes it is bushing in the lower unit. It is the bushing that the drive shaft runs through. Salt builds up and then you hear the squeak. My Zuke does it and all of the Yamm's that I have been on have the same noise.

They all do it after they have been run hard. Four strokes are are so quiet that we are able to hear every little thing such as this and other things like prop chatter. Things not normally noticed on a more noisy 2 stroke.

jim

I had the same problem with my 07 F250 this weekend, I called the yamaha service tech and he said it's the bushing- although not common on the f250, it's a known issue with the f225. I have 164 hours on her today, he said to keep using it until it get's to 200hrs, this way they can grease the bushing when they take the lower unit off during the 200hr service. He also said that the noise will not damage anything. I read about people using silicone spray to get rid of the noise, I may do that until 200hrs to feel a little better about running the motor.

brian s":181sp0zv said:
I I read about people using silicone spray to get rid of the noise, I may do that until 200hrs to feel a little better about running the motor.

Let me know if you do that and it worked. I May want to do that also.

ScoopsAhoy":xtugwk9d said:
:( More ammo for the Merc fans.....

Not really, most Merc owners already have had their hearing damaged from the sound of their motors. :lol:

Worked like a charm- heavy duty silicone spray from west marine, sprayed right on the exposed portion of the shaft. I put 10 hours on the boat this weekend and could barely hear noise only on a few occasions. I'm still going to have the bushing replaced under warranty at 200hrs, but the silicone works wonders in the meantime.

Back