What's the best way to empty 50 gal.s of gas from an 1801cc?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarpon6866

Reaction score
I want to get the gas out and fog the engine for the rest of the winter. I have a carbeurated four stroke that gets finicky. I bought a drill pump but it says not to use it for flamable liquids. Tricky snaking a hose down into the gas tank also... Any advcie would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Today, I ran my 1801 to almost empty ... then filled her up with a full tank for the winter.

yeah. 50 gallons is like over $150 so I want to get it out and use it in our cars. Whats the thought on filling her up and letting the gas age in there? I know there are those that sat leave it empty and those that say leave it full?

I fill mine and treat with Startron. If you fill it, then there is nowhere for condensation (water) to form in the tank with the rise and fall of temperatures. I've been doing it for 7 years now and have never had any issues in the Springtime.
At the same time, there are guys that empty the tank thnking that there is no gas to"go bad". To each his own ...

I leave my tank about 1/2 full and treat it with stabil.
When I winterize I mix up about 1/2 a gal of gas with quite a bit of 2 stroke oil in a gas jug, take the gas hose coming out from my separator, stick that hose in the gas jug with the gas 2stroke mix and run the motor for quite a while.
Before the boat goes back in the water, I change the plugs and top off with high octane.

I have drained my 100 gal tank the last couple of years since we got Ethanol gas.

I use a non-motorized hand pump that I picked up at the local hardware store, along with a good length of tubing to reach from the tank to the ground (the boat is trailered when I do this). You basically attach the pump (same basic concept as a mini hand-pump you would use on a football) to a small priming tank to get the fuel flowing, then transfer the hose over to the portable tanks being filled.

I go in the top of the tank at the fuel sender unit, rather than trying to snake in through the fuel fill.

It takes a while to drain, and you have to keep an eye on it as it has a tendency to keep draining regardless of how full your portable tank is :)

I have an anti-siphon valve installed at the tank, otherwise I would disconnect the fuel line at the other side of the primer ball and siphon it out that way.

-- Tom

I would top it off and treat it with Stabil or Startron. I've done so for years with no issues, even with E10.
If you got 50 gallons thats almost full now, it holds 60 right?
Treated gas won't go bad over a couple months.

On my old boat I used to disconnect the fuel line at the engine, run the line through the drain plug hole, pump the primer ball to get the siphon going and drain into 6 gallon tanks.

Works like a charm and no need to buy special pumps. :D :D

You could even get fancy and put a shut off in line and you wouldn't have to start the siphon over and over. I used to use a 3/8" bolt.

This year I left about 60 gal (treated) in the 2530.

I would fillit up the rest of the way with high test and treat it with Stabil. :wink: No air no condensation and the high test fuel is more stable by nature. I have done this for my entire boating life and never had a problem but my off season may not be as long as yours.

Back