Where do you get parts for your Yamaha?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOut

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha F-250 and ready for my fall (200hr) service. According to Yamaha I need to replace the spark plugs, Oil, Fuel Filter (internal), Fuel Filter (external), and Oil Filter, Grease all fittings and Change lower unit fluid. Where do you guys get your parts? I want to do the service myself as the dealer wants $185.00 for this and I will accomplish this myself making myself more familiar with the inner workings. I am surprised that they recommend changing the plugs so frequently. I purchased the boat in April new and it seems like I will need to change the plugs 2-3 times a year. My dealer wants $7.45 per plug. That’s $135.00 in plugs a year. I can’t understand why it is needed to change the plugs so frequently as the four stroke burns very clean with little to no deposits? I will inspect the plugs this weekend and compare to the new ones. I am at 200Hrs now and never thought to change the plugs. I know that an increased gap or worn plug will increase the voltage on the ignition system and could cause an expensive ignition system repair and this is probably the reason for changing them so frequent.

Anyone have a good inexpensive source for Yamaha parts??

I do my own maint. Check your plugs for deposits and proper gap. If they look good then they still are---don't change. Use proper torque on plugs. Tilt engine up 45deg to drain lower unit oil. Level to fill. Put disposable diaper under oil filter to catch any spillage. Don't over tighten oil filter---torque specs in manual. Don't put 6 qts in engine--put in 5.75 qts. Make sure you find all the zirc fittings to grease. Remember there is one behind the prop under PS. Manual shows diagram. Also change out fuel/water separator and check baattery fluid levels.

Or you could get an ETEC and let the engine/lower unit corrode/degrade for three years. They discovered special components/metals that don't degrade or require maint don't ya know.:wink:

No bashing please---just want to say that if I had an ETEC, I would do periodic maint within the 3 yr window prescribed by BRP.

jim

Thanks for the advice. :wink: I will do the work myself and shop around for the parts. I don't mind spending the money to maintain somthing but prefer to do the work myself.

Curious, How is Yamadoo at covering warranty if it is self maintained ? I know we all would do it correctly, and who knows, even better than a mechanic. But would they balk at an engine failure ?

:roll:

Since my motor is a 1997, I don't think Yamaha cares who works on it. :D

grouperjim":3m3jxfsx said:
Or you could get an ETEC and let the engine/lower unit corrode/degrade for three years. They discovered special components/metals that don't degrade or require maint don't ya know.:wink:
jim

:shock: ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

by the way, put your spark plugs back in your Yamaha. Do you change plugs in your car every few months?

Foggylink":3nx5qt02 said:
Curious, How is Yamadoo at covering warranty if it is self maintained ? I know we all would do it correctly, and who knows, even better than a mechanic. But would they balk at an engine failure ?

:roll:

No, they would not balk.

I called Yamaha before I changed my oil at 100 hours to see if it affected my warranty by me doing it. Engineer I spoke to said absolutely not. I also asked him about installing a hydrofoil plate to get more lift on the stern. He said the only problem with warranty would be if the hydrofoil broke or cracked the cavitation plate on the engine - otherwise no warranty issues. I've had nothing but informed pleasant advice from all of my calls to Yamaha. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pete

Same with lower unit oil. At end of season, I loosen drain plug and check to see if their was any water intrusion. Gear lube would look milky if their was. If it looks as fresh as when I put it in, I leave it for another season. We don't change the gear oil in our rear axels every year do we? I just use common sense. Engine oil gets changed yearly and ALL grease fittings are hit. JMHO... :wink:

Back