where to mount through hull transducer/ what degree?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panga

Reaction score
Looking at upgrading my sonar, to a chirp unit Garmin, with a airmar through hull transducer. I have read a bunch of old threads but havent found a clear answer.

Im wondering best place to drill the hole and what degree offset transducer to use, i think 12 and 20 degree are the options. The boat is a 92 parker 2520 deep v.

thanks

posted in projects but thinking it is better suited for here.

i went with the 12-20 and mounted it just to the starboard side of of the keel flat spot on my 2520 dvsc. as close to the transom as i could get it and still work on the fittings. works great!just keep it away from any through hull fittings and trailer bunks.

i went with the 12-20 and mounted it just to the starboard side of of the keel flat spot

OK...So which was it? The 12deg tilted Element or the 20deg Tilted Element?

panga":9ptle1np said:
i think 12 and 20 degree are the options. The boat is a 92 parker 2520 deep v.

12 degree for the MV
20 degree for the DV

that is what I was assuming, it just seems pretty flat right at the keel transom area, thanks for the info.

panga":fonle3tv said:
that is what I was assuming, it just seems pretty flat right at the keel transom area, thanks for the info.

If you have a DV, you should have 2 lifting strakes on the hull.
If you have an MV, you will have one lifting strake.
That is one way to be sure when looking at a Parker.

Not real easy to see, even out of the water, but here is my MV before the bottom was painted.

Attachments

• hull.jpg
    hull.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 195
Another way to tell...

A DV will have a 'flat' keel just below the garboard drain plug.
An MV keel will come to a 'V' below the plug.

Attachments

• keel.jpg
    keel.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
10-4, I know for sure that I have a deep v, I was just wondering about placement and making sure the 20 is what I need. I seems like other make boats are steeper at the transom keel... Anyway Ill order the 20 deg. Thanks for the help

If you have a DV, order the 20 degree
and mount opposite your raw water p/u.

I'm installing a 20 degree B164 in my 2520XL MV, just to the starboard side of the keel. Hole drilled, need to borrow calipers from work so I can get the hole thickness uniform. My hull thickness is quite different from one side of the hole to the other….saw that in another thread.

I went back and forth with Airmar (and reading this site) trying to decide which was the best for my hull (12 or 20 degree). My MV has a 16 degree dead rise, such that it is right in the middle of the two options. My final decision was based on which side that I wanted the sonar cone to cheat a bit. The 20 should give me a little more sensitivity when setting bait depths off of the Starboard where I tend to fish. I went as far as plotting out how the 12 degree and 20 degree sonar cones come off of my 16 degree hull, and honestly the difference isn't going to matter. Airmar said that from the start…..but I'm stubborn..

I think it is time for some schooling

Measuring Deadrise on your boat 101:

First you acquirer one of these.

image_17440.jpg

Then you lay it up on the STB side....write that down

Now lay it on the Port side. .....write that down.

Now add them together....

Now divide by 2.

This will take into consideration a boat setting on a trailer or stands and any weird angle it is sitting at and compensate for that.

Back