Who's From The Charleston Area? I'm Retiring There.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdog

Reaction score
Well soon. Like 4 - 5 years. We are going down next weekend to hopefully buy a house on Isle of Palms. Prices are down, I am pre-approved at 4%, so why not? That way we can go when we want during the year, etc. I haven't figured out the boat logistics, yet.

I don't live in Charleston but my son does. Only thing to look out for are the size of the tides. Not sure about Isle of Palms, but in Beaufort to the south they run 4-6 feet or more. Most private docks and marinas have floating piers.

Well I am thinking that I will tow the boat down and back when I go to stay for a week or more, or if someone else is meeting us there and wants to fish. Looks like Isle of Palms inshore has lots of my kind of action and near and off shore is exactly what I have been looking for. The Pony Tail doesn't know it yet but I need to upgun my rigs to Penn Internationals for all the tuna, macks, and dolphins that I intend to catch. :D

I grew up in Charleston and my dad still lives on the Isle of Palms. It's lovely down there, and there are fish (and shrimp, and crabs, and oysters) everywhere. I forget how degraded the Chesapeake is sometimes, and then I visit Charleston and am reminded of what it could/should be like. Just north of the IOP up the intracoastal there are some uninhabited barrier islands that are worth a visit. There are houses on Dewees, the next island up, but then Capers and Bull are empty and beautiful. Count on running aground a fair bit though. With the tides moving in and out of those marshes the bottom shifts around a lot, and charts often can't be trusted outside the major channels.

I live in Mt Pleasant - we have a few Parkers here in Charleston - i don't know how many of those owners come on this site. The offshore fishing here is OK - in a small boat the weather windows are small and infrequent, the run is long (60+ miles one way from the jetties), and the chop is almost always present. If you're retired, you can probably grab those good days better than most. Tuna? They used to catch yellowfin here but now you're lucky to catch blackfin. Dolphin is pretty good, sailfish and wahoo decent. If you buy that house on the beach, I'll be happy to watch it for a week in the summer. But if I was retiring and wanted to fish, I'd go to NC - the stream is whole lot closer and they catch waaay more tuna. Just ask Mr Geeze...

Back