Winch: cable or strap?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sow&Pigs

Reaction score
The cable on my trailer winch is only a year old, but it's already got some areas that are crushed and a few frayed ends sticking out.

I was thinking of replacing it with a strap. My boat is a 2520.

Thoughts?

Straps are finicky about being kept flat and do not tolerate any misuse. I felt much more secure after replacing my strap with a stainless cable.

I just replaced a SS cable that was fraying and got a strap that has twice the pound rating the cable had ...

The key to cables is keeping them tightly wound on the winch...and keeping the winds right up against one another. Let it get loose or spread the rows and that when you run into problems with the cable crushing and causing weak spots.

The main thing I like about cables is you can rig them with a pulley to effectively double the pulling power of your winch.

I've had both and can't really say I have a big preference for one over the other. If I had to pick a favorite though, it would be a pulley-rigged cable.

gw204":3hcbe9pn said:
The main thing I like about cables is you can rig them with a pulley to effectively double the pulling power of your winch.

... provided you don't exceed the rated test of the cable itself :shock: !

DaleH":2sq4gw7a said:
gw204":2sq4gw7a said:

... or the winch!

TheOtherLine":ngbucp55 said:
DaleH":ngbucp55 said:
gw204":ngbucp55 said:

... or the winch!

The load on the cable is a concern, but those who know me know that I buy things way overkill anyway. :D

As for the winch, if it's properly sized to begin with, all doubling the cable will do is decrease the load on it. That's the beauty of the mechanical advantage provided by the pulley. If the cable will handle it, you could pull twice the weight without exceeding the rated capacity of the winch.

As for the winch, if it's properly sized to begin with, all doubling the cable will do is decrease the load on it. That's the beauty of the mechanical advantage provided by the pulley. If the cable will handle it, you could pull twice the weight without exceeding the rated capacity of the winch.

I use a pully to take some of the stress off the winch. The cables are generally rated at far less than what your boat weighs and not intended to lift the entire weight of your boat. It is rolling weight. Just like how the winches are rated. I like the cable but the strap is easier on your hands to handle and easier to guide into the roller. I would have a strap if I didn't use a pully.

I prefer a strap over a winch.
It is not pretty when a cable parts under tension. :(

I must say that I like the easiness of a cable but feel somewhat safer with a strap. I had a cable on my last trailer can say that on a couple of occassions on a shallow ramp, hearing her creak and crack a little had me afraid what would happen if she popped.

B-Faithful":1snsl5gp said:
I must say that I like the easiness of a cable but feel somewhat safer with a strap. I had a cable on my last trailer can say that on a couple of occassions on a shallow ramp, hearing her creak and crack a little had me afraid what would happen if she popped.

That's one of the main reason you need to make sure you are standing to the side of the winch when cranking. The usually makes it harder, but you much safer.

I use a cable, and just purchased a new SS one to replace the 5-year old Superwinch cable. I also use a pulley to double the pulling power of the electric winch and reduce the strain that would be present on a single-pull cable set-up.

Dave

aka

I should have mentioned that my winch is a manual with two settings. Leaning towards the strap...

optimaxfish":3gq7rplv said:
Another reason to drive boat on trailer. Look at comments by fishdogmoose, looks like someone almost pulled the eye out by torqueing down with an electric winch.

When I bought my 2520, the bow eye was almost pulled through the hull due to the electric winch. Having that fiberglass repaired was one of the first things that I had to do after taking possession of the boat. :(

Kevin:
How did you go about your repair? I am having an issue with my bow eye. It was loose and when I went inside to tighten her down I noticed things were soft and the glass was cracked. I winch very gently now.

Parkerman":24vs2dfw said:
Kevin:
How did you go about your repair? I am having an issue with my bow eye. It was loose and when I went inside to tighten her down I noticed things were soft and the glass was cracked. I winch very gently now.

I took the easy way out. I took it to my dealer and asked them to fix it.
My dealer has a local glass guy who does all their work, and the repair was done perfectly.

When I got her back, you could not tell that she had been repaired. She looked 'factory fresh'. :wink:

I now use a cable due to my original strap fraying before my eyes as I winched the boat onto the trailer. Half the strap just unraveled - I quickly slid the boat back in the water and borrowed a cable off someone else's trailer. I bought the stainless cable the next day and have not looked back. A strap that gets nicked in any way can fail catastrophically. It probably doesn't happen much but when it does it unravels quickly.

I also prefer to handle a strap with my bare hands. That's why I keep gloves handy for the cable. Trailers basically stink no matter what kind you have. I hate 'em all!

Hey Max and Pork, could either or you post a shot of your pulley? I'm a visual learner...

I'll take a strap over a cable anyday. The strap is rated at 10.000lbs breaking strength with a 4.000 lb working load on my new EZ Loader trailer. Its the same material used on the hold downs we had on our Roll Back Tow Truck to tie cars down. They will take a lot of abuse. West Marine Part #8837239 $24.99 Be sure to read the overview!

Good Luck
Catfish

Back