Windlass lesson learned

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
I recently replace my Horizon windlass with a Pro Fish 700. I figured while I was at it, I would replace the line and add some more chain length.

The manual actually calls for 3 ply medium lay or 8 plait nylon line and 1/4" chain.

So, I went and bought what was labeled as 3 ply anchor rode and 1/4" g4 chain.

As it turns out, the line turned out to be too stiff and would constantly hockle. Also, because it was so stiff, it would not flemish or coil properly in the anchor well. It kept getting twisted and knotted. I thought maybe I just need to let all 300' out, anchor, let it stretch, get wet, everything would be fine. WRONG. It got worse.

Additionally, the chain just didn't seem right either. As I would pull up the chain, it would start twisting and flexing and banging against the pulpit :shock:

I finally called a Lewmar dealer who convinced me to use the 8 plait line and 1/4" HT chain. ( The manual calls for g4 ). The difference I noticed was that the opening in the links was longer or bigger than the opening of the chain I was using.

Went out Friday morning dropped anchor, pulled it up a couple of times and it worked perfectly. Smooth as silk, no kinks, hockles, no chain banging. :D

In retrospect, I remember reading something about line markings and how anchor rode will have colored lines in the strands. I have seen line with the red lines in the strands. This line had green lines in the strands. Maybe the color has something to do with it's softness.

This green line stuff was very stiff. Coulda used it to rope cows. Of course, that's just a guess. Not a lot of cows in Brooklyn where I came from.
:wink:

don't forget the swivel at the anchor if you don't have one. that was my mistake.

When lines get stiff try soaking them in a bucket with fabric softener over night. Works great.

I am going to replace my Horizon 500 with the Pro Fish 700. OtherLlne....did you get the free fall? If so are you satisfied with the free fall feature? The only negative I have heard is that you need to be careful not to stop the anchor during the free fall. Commnets?

Thanks,

Mike

26 LC Osprey

Sandiego Mike":d122hpdi said:
I am going to replace my Horizon 500 with the Pro Fish 700. OtherLlne....did you get the free fall? If so are you satisfied with the free fall feature? The only negative I have heard is that you need to be careful not to stop the anchor during the free fall. Commnets?

Thanks,

Mike

26 LC Osprey

Pro FISH indicates that it is the automatic free fall version. In other words, you bump the down switch for 2 seconds and it releases the clutch allowing it to free fall. Pro 700 means it will free fall, but you have to manually release the line either by powering it down or walking up to the windlass and paying out line by hand.

The way you stop the anchor line from paying out more line is to bump the UP button for about 5-10 seconds. The gypsy turns and engages the clutch, which stops the line from paying out. I have not yet "accidently" stopped the anchor during free fall.

You are going to love the auto free fall (PRO FISH) feature. Especially if you fish wrecks or ledges.

Good Luck.

Back