Window Frame Pitting Solution, I Think I Have The Answer !

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bean

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Owners;

I have a 2120 Pilot House and the window frame pitting problem has driven me nuts. I cleaned the frames with bronze wool & metal cleaner and got them looking as good as new. Next cleaned off frames with lacquer thinner.

Now what I hope is the final solution I coated with a product called SHARKHIDE. This is used on pontoon boats as you know aluminium.

Fellow in my boat yard has used this for years on his boat and says it works great. Expensive stuff. About $ 65.00 a QT.

sharkhide.com

I hope this is the final answer to this long posted problem.

Any one need a little from my QT and you are in Phila Area I would be glad to share from my QT.

" BEAN "

stonebuster":6unxcmpf said:
I hope you did find the answer to this problem. Even at $65/quart I'd buy it. Keep us posted.

DITTO !
Keep us posted
On how it went to apply
Also do you need to strip the windows down like you did
To take all the finish off
Or was it just because yours were in bad shape

Gonna have to wait on this one.....

many questions

How will you remove the clear anodized coating???

it has to be removed b4 u apply shark hide!!!

How will you remove pitted areas and still maintain the smooth aluminum finish???

You
WILL cause damage to the smooth finish if you sand it and it will have to be refinished smooth before you apply shark hide?

DOES THE ACID DAMAGE GEL COAT FINISH?
DOES the acid damage the carpet?
HOW BAD WILL THE ACID/solvents damage the STARBOARD door ????

I would not attempt this until the questions have been answered by mfg!!!

metal cleaners are extremely acidic and full of heavy solvents that will damage most HDPE's finish!!!!

PLEASE be careful dont hurt your beautiful PARKER

I did not use the sharkhide cleaner. I only used bronze wool, elbow grease & metal cleaner. Then wiped down with lacquer thinner. The stuff goes on with a rag. Windows look like they have a coat of clear on them. They look great.

I will keep all posted on this topic. The cooler the better to apply the sharkhide. So far I am very pleased. I did not get on carpet I am very carefull with my baby.

" BEAN "

How much work was the prep???

Did you do all the frames inside and out?

How long?

can u post some close up pictures of finished frames inside and out ....im totally curious.....

Did the shark hide stain/if you got it on the HDPE ..The door? and gel coat?

Did you foam brush it on or rag?

that will work great,put on three coats one at a time,if you damage it just recoat it,i used it on a pontoon boat in salt water this will be my 3 rd year

Does anyone keep their boat in fresh water and have this problem? I would expect so, because I think it may be an oxidation/poor ventaltion in the cockpit problem rather than a salt issue. Like others, I have had no problem on the outside. I removed all the little white "pimples" and soaked a paper towel with W-D 40 and wiped the inside of the windshield a couple of weeks ago. It seems to have helped. I'll keep you posted.

What brand metal cleaner did you use, or will any do? I've probably got a sample of them all.

As long as I can get to wiping the salt crystals off before they sit too long, I've been able to keep much of the pitting in check but still have issues in a few spots. I only get to the boat on weekends so if I miss a weekend or 2, the aluminum shows it.

I tried Woody Wax a couple years ago on the metal. It didn't really work too well for me. A light coating of WD-40 does seem to help slow down the crystals forming.

John
2120SC

I used regular metal polish with bronze wool to clean frames. Then wipe down with lacquer thinner. Apply sharkhide when cool wipe on with small soft rag. I used an old tee shirt hunk. Put on 3 coats let sit for 2-3 days between coats.

Boat is in the water now and I will keep all posted the frames look like they have a clear coat on them. Do not use acid cleaner.

So far so good I hope this doe's the trick from my research says it should.

" BEAN "

johnsw":z4jv7ock said:
What brand metal cleaner did you use, or will any do? I've probably got a sample of them all.

As long as I can get to wiping the salt crystals off before they sit too long, I've been able to keep much of the pitting in check but still have issues in a few spots. I only get to the boat on weekends so if I miss a weekend or 2, the aluminum shows it.

I tried Woody Wax a couple years ago on the metal. It didn't really work too well for me. A light coating of WD-40 does seem to help slow down the crystals forming.

John
2120SC

That's interesting. I find the Woody Wax (WW) is great stuff. Everytime I wash my boat, all outside metal gets wiped down with the WW. Looks absolutely brand new. I do have a bit of pitting on my frames, but minimal. And I don't wipe the frames down everytime.

I treat the inside of the window frames with Woody Wax once or twice during the season. The exterior is untreated but I rinse after every use with Salt Away (use a spray bottle with the solution then hose off with fresh water.) Starting my fifth season and zero sign of any pitting on anything...

Hello Guy's & Gal's;

The sharkhide I put on the frames is doing just great so far this season. Boat has been in water 4 months. So far no more pitting, you can feel salt residue on frames I wipe that off with water on a rag but no pitting.

" BEAN "

P.S. I will keep all updated!

Megabyte":2ti9yllq said:
got_em_on":2ti9yllq said:
Did anyone ever try that Woody Wax metal cleaner sealant?

http://yhst-37334516642247.stores.yahoo ... rsyki.html

I have used Woodys on stainless and on electrical connections, but I haven't tried it on aluminum (yet).
Might be a good idea for me to give it a try (if it ever stops raining :( ).

I did. Didn't help much. WD40 has worked the best at keeping the white deposits from forming, so far.

Waiting to get more feedback on SharkHide.

bean":3lb2n8t3 said:
I used regular metal polish with bronze wool to clean frames. Then wipe down with lacquer thinner. Apply sharkhide when cool wipe on with small soft rag. I used an old tee shirt hunk. Put on 3 coats let sit for 2-3 days between coats.

Boat is in the water now and I will keep all posted the frames look like they have a clear coat on them. Do not use acid cleaner.

So far so good I hope this doe's the trick from my research says it should.

" BEAN "

How about some close up photos of the applied product?!

Back