Windshield wiper staying on glass - repair question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rio_01

Reaction score
So I have a 2520XLD and I love it. I’m on it all the time. Anyway, when I push the windshields out for ventilation, the wipers obviously stay on the glass. When I lower the glass, the wiper arms don’t retract. They stay up in the air. I can see a spring in there that I assume is supposed to retract them, and it looks to be in good shape. I’m the 2nd owner but it only had one season on it when I got it but it’s always been like this. Is there any trick to fixing this? Before I dig in I figured I’d check here first.

My experience is to remove the plastic beauty caps at the top knuckle and throw them away. The collect the water and cause unnecessary corrosion to accumulate. After a trip I rinse them down along with the rest of the boat and intermittently apply WD-40

So I have a 2520XLD and I love it. I’m on it all the time. Anyway, when I push the windshields out for ventilation, the wipers obviously stay on the glass. When I lower the glass, the wiper arms don’t retract. They stay up in the air. I can see a spring in there that I assume is supposed to retract them, and it looks to be in good shape. I’m the 2nd owner but it only had one season on it when I got it but it’s always been like this. Is there any trick to fixing this? Before I dig in I figured I’d check here first.
When rinsing boat after use, I lift the wipers up off the glass and spray water into the hinge of the wiper arm and then move the wiper arm joint back and forth a few times and then give it another squirt with the hose. This helps knock off dried salt/corrosion. As previous posters have mention lubricating the hinge absolutely helps, the only draw back to this is having lubricant leak onto the windshield and why I personally avoid it.

Warning what follows is absolutely a captain obvious statement but when you use the wipers, park them on the outboard sides of the windshields, in this position you can reach out the side windows from the wheel house and push em down into operating position if the hinges don’t cooperate.

Thanks guys. That’s kind of what I was thinking of doing. I have some oil absorbent pads. Maybe I’ll lay those on the glass, lube that area up and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions!

Back