Winter projects to make it mine (2520)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhr3

Reaction score
I purchased a new to me 1997 2520 last fall. Having been a sail boat guy most of my life this is a real departure from the normal for me. I decided before dipping it this spring it needed some upgrades. First came Hydraulic steering. This was an easy afternoon. We added Bennett 9X24 Tabs. Another relatively simple project. I installed a Fuel computer, no problem and looked around for more.

I am a teak freak. Love the stuff. I have over 500 board feet left over from a deck project I never did. I wanted my signature on the boat. The previous owner had had the above helm area outfitted with the engine gauges, hung the chart plotter from the ceiling and mountd the fishfinder on the dash area in front of the cockpit windows. I felt like my view from the helm seat was interupted by too much stuff.

I started by cleaning the slate. I then attacked the cockpit with saws and teak to give the teak deck apearance. The "dashboard" remains free of any permenant fixtures to give clear lines of sight. Engine instruments (tach Battery meter, Temp meter) were moved down by the throttle. Also installed there were the rocker switches for the Bennett tabs.

I am in avaition and understand good Avionics technology. Next year is the year the budget can allow the upgrade from the 2010 Garmin Chartplotter to the 3210 model. At that time I will add radar and the sounder to the chartplotter package. This in mind and because they have the same footprint I sunk the 2010 into the new teak just above the helm. Left of the 2010 I installed the Navman fuel meter and Fuel quanitity gauge. Right of the 2010 the Bennett trim tab indicator and the indicator for the outboard trim were installed. I installed the Furno FCV 600L fish finder on the ceiling in the corner fwd right of the helm. Next year that unit will go to the aft steering station.

What is left for this year is the Stereo and speakers. My problem is I am now headed for Tulsa for 6 weeks to try to pay for all this stuff.

Attachments

• parker helm 1.JPG
    parker helm 1.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,403
  • parker helm 2.JPG
    parker helm 2.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,404
  • parker helm 3.JPG
    parker helm 3.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,404
Dayam, that is purty! Will you do my helm dash too??

Dale this project does not hold a candle to what you have done to yours.

If I was to do it again $5K would pay me about .50 an hour. Isn't that the way it always goes?

I am still considering finishes. On my blow boats I have always used Cetol. On this deal I am considering varnish or just doing the oil deal.

I am insane but I am also considering doing the cabin sole in teak and holly.

NHR

nhr3":32h4f974 said:
I am still considering finishes. On my blow boats I have always used Cetol. On this deal I am considering varnish or just doing the oil deal.
FWIW all my bright work is prepped teak, 3 coats of Cetol Marine Light, then 3 coats of Rake epoxy, then 3 or more coats of Interlux 'Goldspar' marine UV-proof varnish (really more of a polyurethane).

I'll get 2-3 years out of each exterior piece before the gloss varnish topcoat needs to be rubbed down with a scotchbrite and then reapplied.

I am insane but I am also considering doing the cabin sole in teak and holly.
Yeah ... me too! But then I decided I wanted to use my boat this season :shock: ! I finally gave up on teak decks and 'may' do the washboards someday like the big yachts wear.

As is, I'm knee deep in my new full hull-width teak swim platform, as sketched below:

swim_bracket_187.jpg

For my blow boats I found when I did anything I walked on with Cetol or Varnish it would get so darned hot I would get blisters on my feet and it would be very slippery when wet. I finally let that part go natural and have not regreted the decision. It is usually just a grate in the sailboat cockpit but the natural grey the teak turns in the sun and elements keeps it cooler and is non slip. I am still a big fan of Cetol on the Toe/rub and hand rails as well as the splash boards.

After initially doing all my teak in Interlux Captains Varnish I found keeping it all up was a pain. Out came the heat gun, removed every bit of the 10 coats of varnish and applied Cetol. Every 4 years I pull the boat sand it all smooth and re apply Cetol, 3 coats. This takes two days of hellish sanding and three of Cetol aplication. It gives me real appriciation for my fettish.

We must pay for what we love. NHR

very nice work nhr3, looks like its personalized now. im interested in doing some teak work myself and have a question. the dark lines on your dash is that a caulk? im wanting to make a door and don't want it looking like a teak slab. should i be doing an inlay? any kind of tips would be helpful, thanks

As to the dark lines - I cut a 1/8 groove half the depth of the plank on each side. Total width of the joint is 1/4 inch. I used black 4200 as a calk, overfilled the groove and sanded flush with a DA sander. The planks are also bedded into 4200 and I removed the screws after the sealant set and plugged the screw holes. My hope is that it will flex with the boat. NHR

Attachments

• screwed dash.JPG
    screwed dash.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,210
  • plugged dash.JPG
    plugged dash.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,210
Back