Wiper motors - replace? rebuild?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goinsfishin

Reaction score
Has anyone tried rebuilding the wiper motors?
My port one is wery slow/weak and stbd doesn't work at all.
Wiring? The port side is wired red to hot side of switch, black to ground and orange to switched side of toggle, I assume this is correct? Red hot, black ground, orange switched. Could someone check and reply?
Checked the wiring and the stbd was miswired to boot, but still doesn't work after mimicing port wiring so I can only assume the motors bad.
I am getting good current, checked with a multimeter.

Right now the budgets a little stretched, leaning to rebuilding the motors, have rebuilt lots of electic motors over the years.
Has anyone done this before on wiper motors?

Haven't tried rebuilding one... but my port side wiper hasn't worked since I bought the boat, so it might be a good candidate to experiment with! :)

Try taking them to a local starter/generator repair/rebuild shop. They can usually rebuild OB trim motors when they brushes get worn, but trim motors cost from $100 for off-label to > $200 for OEM units. Rebuild usually run ~ $60 in my neck of the woods - your mileage (co$t) may vary.

I don't use electric wipers. I use Rain-X on the windows and keep some of that Wal*Mart 'orange colored' windshield washer in a spray bottle to clean salt off the windows, mixed 1/3rd each orange stuff, Salt-Away, and water.

I always use this mix to clean the windows and then I do a full Rain-X treatment every other week or so (or whenever heading offshore and the wind is up), as it only takes minutes to do the front windows. I'll admit that I did add a manual wiper blade onto my helm window just as backup to remove spray or other. But I find the window treatment works best for me!

I'm just of the opinion that things should work the way they're supposed too.
A lot of things in life I have no control over- but it's my boat and it will work right!
I think I'll pull the stbd wiper motor off after work tomorrow and have a crack at rebuilding/refurbing it.
My best guess is that the motor is fine ( maybe new brushes needed) but that water got into the shaft bushing and it's corroded frozen.
I'll post back in a day or two with results.

BTW - I love Rain-X !!! Been using it since I first discovered the stuff....mid to late 80's? When was the stuff invented?

Pulled the wiper motor, carefully disassembled, found a greasy mess inside.
Apparently the gear lube grease had broken down over time and many heat cycles and was really worthless. It had obviously been thru too many heat cycles. The liquified lube had seeped into the motor housing and was crudding up the works...The motor shaft lube had also broken down.....
After a good cleaning I reassembled, and lubed properly with some high-temp white lithium grease.
Had to play around with the motor shaft bearing preload a bit but it seems to run about right gapped to .025.
Applied power and ran like a charm on the bench....... will remount in boat in a few days....
Beats replacing at 170 a pop!!!!!!

Congratulations!...did your Black Lab help? (maybe eat a wire or a wrench)

Does anyone know what type of replacement blades I can use? I tried Vetus and they said they don't make them anymore. I tried an auto shop last year and i ended up having to buy some that didn't really fit right and I had to cut them.

I'm want to put wipers on my 2310, rangerdog mentions about the wiper motor and blades are the same as jeeps. What model year of the jeep would I use to buy them?

I don't think the model/year matters. They are all 12 volt and you need a few holes. In fact you could look at someone's boat that already has them and reverse engineer the fit. Here's one from JC Whitney:

G_26266G_CL_1.jpg

OK,
Beside the motor, I'd have to get the arm and blade. I don't have wipers now. I think you may have been referring to just replacing the motor?

So its like in getting wipers there from jeep as well and i am glad someone bought that up now i know where to goto get them...If any on gets them for a 2120 post the info about them and the model # of wipers!!

Latest posts

Back