Wiring Questions for an 1800.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc

Reaction score
I have a 1994 1800. When i am underway and the boat pounds even a little bit my gps and vhf turn loose power and turn off. This is my first boat so I haven't done much in the way of wiring but I would like to try.
If any of you have suggestions about what to do, they would be much appreciated.

Simple ... loose connection!

Start at the battery and do you, me, and the guy who otherwise WILL tow your boat in someday (a 'when' scenario, not 'if') ... if you continue to use wing-nuts on the battery ... and THROW THEM AWAY! Replace them with a 5/16" and 3/8" standard thread nylok nut, tightened by a socket or open end wrench.

Loose battery terminals could be killing your main feed up to your dash and if only running the GPS and VHF - that might be why?? that is all you see losing power. But loose battery terminals can KILL ELECTRICAL parts on your motor and they ain't cheap! Loose battery terminals can bring down voltage regulators and rectifiers ($200-$300 or more each), powerpacks ($300+) and stators ($400+).

Wing-nut use on marine batteries is my #1 boating pet peeve :shock: !

Can ya' tell ;) ?

OK, rant over ... now trace all other connections going forward. All wiring should be securely tied every 8" (I believe) per ABYC standards to prevent the wires from being jostled and pulling out connections. Check everything and while there, apply dielectric grease to all terminals. A large tube of it is $6 at auto parts stores, while a boat store will charge you twice as much for half as less.

Please report back ...

Dale,

I went out to the boat right after I posted. I found a loose wingnut. Tightened it up and problem solved.

I will be replacing the wingnuts today

Peter

Back