Wood trim project?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipstream

Reaction score
I'm planning to add some teak trim to my 23se before I splash her later this month. Nothing too fancy, but some accents.

Helm:
- I'm going to remove the plexiglass door to the electronics box and create a teak faceplate to which I will flush mount my 10" garmin. Also will build in some tackle storage.
- Remove the compass and build a teak top with lip to sit on top of my console. Remount the compass on the teak top. Add 2 stainless cup holders to top. Drill some holes on lip to hang flies/jigs from.

I will most likely stop here. I'll share pics when I'm done.

Has anyone done this yet? If so, please share some pics.

Thanks

On my 1801, I scrapped the cooler seat and added a custom leaning post. The seat back is padded and matches the seat cushion. It fits into the two outside rocket launchers in the leaning post, which takes away rod storage. I have given some thought to replacing the pad with a varnished wooden frame (think the Murray Bros. fighting chair).

In addition to dressing up the spartan look of the Parker, it would allow me to attach a few more rod holders to the back of the frame.

I made a vertical mount for the flyrod holders on the side of the console out of varnished mahogany and it looks cool.

Best regards,

Todd

Attachments

• rod holder closeup.jpg
    rod holder closeup.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 757
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm 43 pieces of teak/mahogany (better for some uses) and counting on the Miss Teak. Every piece washed and sanded, then hit with Cetol 'light', then coated ENTIRELY on all surfaces with 3-coats of self-leveling epoxy. That protects the pieces from moisture intrusion. Then 3 or more coats of clearcoat poly with UV inhibitors are applied.

'Some year' I'd like to add teak coaming boards and a brightwork (mahogany) transom :D !

Thanks for the tips on finishing.
Do you have a link to some of your teak pics?
I recall a few in the past.

I was looking at a Roth-bilt recently and like some of the trim they do. Although, I think they go a bit over the top. A Parker deserves a bit of trim, but not too much. In fact, who can't do with a little more trim in their lives?

My favorite teak piece, well maybe along with the swim platform ;) I added. Now this is TRIM :D !

teakwheel_917.jpg

I can't link to the others, as my photo host is blocked from this work site. That means I should get back to work, huh?

Dale --

Looks great! I'm picking up the boat on Friday and plan on stopping at Downes and Reader to pick up some teak. When you did the trim, did you do it all out of 3/4 stock? I figured I'd start with 4/4 rough and mill to 1/2 or 3/4.

I was also wondering if there is a teak faced marine plywood?

Thanks

Slipstream":2ctrdlu2 said:
When you did the trim, did you do it all out of 3/4 stock? I figured I'd start with 4/4 rough and mill to 1/2 or 3/4.

Yes, cut oversize and planed to size. Teak is TOUGH on tooling :shock: ! But most pieces were bought as piece parts on eBay.

I was also wondering if there is a teak faced marine plywood?
Yes there is, a google search will get you a local supplier. There's also teak veneer.

I get all my hardwood from Downes and Reader in Stoughton. I called them this am and they have both teak hardwood (unsurfaced) and teak marine plywood. I'll stop in there tomorrow and check out, and report back.

If I do any larger pieces, it may be good to use the teak faced marine plywood to avoid cupping.

Picked up some teak on Friday @ $26/board foot. Ouch.

I love when the rough stock is planed and the wood comes to life.
The pic in the bottom is about $20 worth of saw dust.

More to come.

[/code]

Attachments

• teak 1.jpg
    teak 1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 558
  • teak 2.jpg
    teak 2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 558
1. Sweep it into a nice neat pile.
2. Grab the snow shovel.
3. Place saw dust in trash can.
4. Throw clothes in washing machine.
5. Take shower, because the dust is really bad for you.

But, if you want to purchase it, I'll give you a great deal.

Megabyte":354u5khg said:
So what does one do with a pile of teak sawdust?

SAVE it, you may glue something up someday where there is a gap and you need a FILLER. It's great to add to 'bung' work see below ...

small009_149.jpg

"So what does one do with a pile of teak sawdust?"

If yer put on thick around the plants, it will help to keep the weeds down in yer garden :idea: :)

the teak will be used for a faceplate that I'll flush mount the electronics, a cap on top of the electronics box (where the compass sits), and possibly a seat back for my leaning post.

Back