woody too projects for this winter

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work. Gelcoat really isn't that bad. I'm to the point where I'm comfortable and get good results spraying it with a Preval. Next step is to try it in a mold. :)

Spent a day putzing around as my wife sez. I went to work finishing the gelcoat job on the console. I had reapplied the gelcoat in 2 spots earlier in the week so it was well cured. I sanded everything down starting with 225 and then wet sanded with 400, 600, 800. 1500. followed by rubbing compound, polishing compound, and 3 coats of wax. There is a slight color mismatch, but it will be invisable once I get my autopilot controller installed.

I went ahead and did my electricals on the garmin, and installed the fuel flow guage. then i started playing the nmea game, and got my icom 402 dsc connected in, and played interface configuration and reading the nmea interface on my laptop. pretty cool simple interface protocol, and makes allot of sense when you study it a bit.

a little disappointed with the icom 402. it only receives nmea data, and there is no way to pull dsc info to the gps. dont know why i would use it, but it seams pretty cool. i also finally registed for my mmsi, and got all of that set up. Something I recommend that everyone does!

-later, rambling ...

bo

Attachments

• 100_0212.jpg
    100_0212.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 5,466
still at it. this weekend i got to do allot of playing. yesterday was nice out so i pulled her out of the barn and gave her a major scrub down, and went to war against gel coat dust.

then spent a couple hours playing with nmea stuff. i have an icom 402 vhf, a lowrance lcx-18c gps/sonar, and the new garmin 2210 chartplotter. i got the dsc interface working last weekend, and yesterday i set the lowrance up to push depth, temp and waterspeed to the garmin chart plotter. all the wiring is laced up right under the console, and i am ready for my autopilot ... whenever it will show up. i have had a raymarine s1000 on order since new years. it is on factory hold right now due a "gyro problem".

today, my friend tom came by and we bled the hydraulic steering from my cylendar rebuild, and then replaced the water pump impeller. the steering thing went fine, everything checks out great, and no leaks! tell you what though, i ran 2 full quarts of fluid (50 - 50 sea star fluid and atf fluid) through the system to bleed it out.

the impeller replacement went fine as well. i was suprised at how good of shape the old one was. there are 3 years but only 250 hours on the engine - and the old one was still in great shape. i used allot of wd40 and a cold chisel and hammer to get the woodriff ket out, but it finally came loose, and i got the bottom plate and gasket replaced as well. everything went back together really easily, so job done.

later - bo

Attachments

• unit.jpg
    unit.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 5,323
  • tom - lower unit.jpg
    tom - lower unit.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 5,323
  • on bench.jpg
    on bench.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 5,323
  • parts.jpg