X Shark - Warthog5's Old Boat?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadGar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Southern Maryland, Chesapeake/Potomac River
First, I am not sure where exactly to put this but thought if Warthog hasn't seen this (which he probably has) he would want to. When I first decided to buy a Parker I was following Warts build of his 2530. Of course that led me to his amazing restore of his Mako (X-Shark) at ClassicMako.

Anyway, Wart if you haven't seen this it may make you a little queezy, at least it would me considering all the work you put in to it.

If this is old news, sorry but I would want to know if I put all the work you put in- http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic. ... C_ID=55735

Thank's No I had not seen that.

Eddie is correct about a repair in the bottom..... It was on the Port side.

The decking when I reworked the boat was not removed in the area of that crack.

One thing is for sure...... The High Water Alarm saved his A$$.

That boat was a Experiment hence the name X- Shark (Experimental Mako)

I want a Parker Pilothouse when I built that boat. But I didn't have the money for a Parker, not to mention they were far and few between to even see one in this area. You see a few 2520's now, but mines the only 2530 that I know of.

Knowing what I know now for the time and money I put in that boat... I'd have been better off to just finance a Parker, but with that said.... I probelly wouldn't of had a 2530, as I wouldn't have known all the different layouts.

After the Mako was finished, I found it's short comings. The sides were to low..... This is typical of early '70's boats and the deadrise was not enough.

My brother and I, as well as 2 other guys were on the boat....I came out of the Crows nest to pee..... My brother turns the boat some and a roug wave came over the side. It filled the whole cockpit. With me hollering at me brother to THROTTLE UP ---- THROTTLE UP. We kept the boat afloat and dewatered it. That was Fing Scary !

The low deadrise ment that you had to run at lower speeds..... Then boat would jump with the power I had on it, but feel that the boat would preform better with a single 250 for weight purpose.... You would lose 200lbs over what those DF-140's weigh.

The motors had a little over 200hrs on them when I sold it..... And Yes I lost my A$$ when I sold it. It represented 5yrs of my life and $60,000 investment.

As to the crack? Don't know what to say?

I don't think you need to say much as you have proved your wealth of knowledge on both that site and classic parker. There is no way anyone could have seen that coming but that is not why I posted it. I posted because I know you put a lot of sweat in that project that has helped not only me but I'm sure 100's if not 1000's of others with repairing their own craft. I'm sure no one on this site would doubt you. Anyway, I just posted because I would imagine that project will always be close to you. Hell Wart, I don't even know you personally and I felt for you immediately upon reading that. Believe me, everyone at classic mako still talks about that build like you finished it yesterday, it is by far the biggest referenced restore on that site. I just thought you would want to see it. Hope I didn't ruin your day.

Nope not at all. :)

24hrs have passed since I've seen that.

I did a lot of thinking about the problem spot. Let me start by saying I've worked on a LOT of Mako's.

That '73 hull ( Now 43yrs old I might add) is Nothing like a ..... Say '88 25ftr. It's a LOT weaker hull.

On the '73 the bottom is aprox 1/2in thick. (The sides on my Parker are 1/2in thick)

When you bang your hand on the sides of the '73 it flex's. Aprox 1/4in to 3/8in thick.

There is a thing called fatigue.... Flex something long enough.....It's Gonna Break.

I've learned a Lot about different boat's and their makeup since 1999 when that project was started. :)

I'm sure you have learned a ton in 17 years.

I know from changing out my my thru hulls to stainless on my 2320 the parker sides are at least a 1/2". Can't imagine any boat with just a 1/4" on hull bottom, that's crazy.

IVe never own a mako or have any strong feelings for or against them but I do hope someone does buy the x shark and repairs it. It just seems like a waste to let it go with all the upgrades that were put in it. If I were a wealthy man with money to waste I would consider it but I'm not :roll: and my next big purchase needs to be a new engine for my parker.

Can't imagine any boat with just a 1/4" on hull bottom, that's crazy.

It was the sides that were 1/4in....... The bottom was 1/2in...... By comparison....a '85 -'88 25ft Mako was 11/16in bottom....I have the cutouts, or use to before I started cleaning the shop a little.

When I bought my 2520 back in 2003, it had a lot of 'deferred maintenance' issues.
Prior to ClassicParker being born, I spent a lot of time on ClassicMako following the builds, especially Bobby's X-Shark posts.
I didn't have any structural issues to contend with, but many of the things I followed in the Projects section could be used to make any boat better.
Everything from bilge pumps and thru-hulls, to repairs using fiberglas, epoxy, and gelcoat.

When Dale took over the old Pilothouses.Org domain, some of us here collaborated on a name for the new site.
The ClassicParker name was a direct result of the ClassicMako and ClassicSeacraft sites already in existence.
So... ClassicParker evolved into what you see here as a direct result of the 'classic' boat sites that preceded us, and remain popular today.

And that... is your ClassicParker history lesson for today. :)

Back