Yamaha 1000 hour rebuild ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POGE

Reaction score
Anyone hear of a 1000 hour rebuild or to do extensive work at 1000 hours? OB is a Yamaha 250 four stroke.

Never heard of one needed, less a cylinder lost compression or ate a ring. I would also NEVER rebuild a V6 or 150hp or greater OB. They just don't last ...

I believe a new timing belt is due at 1000 hrs ,not sure of any other 1000 hr maintenance besides the normal general maintenance, thermostats, fuel filters etc.

Out of curiosity what happened to your engine? If something catastrophic happened to my motor that I was contemplating a rebuild I would go for a repower or a new factory power head or if I could find a decent uses engine putting that on there. Check out the different warrantee offered by whoever is doing the work.

Thanks All for info and replies. There is not one thing wrong with the engine, lets just say someone suggested this :roll:

Just after having 1000hrs service done on my F225 I noticed an oil leak. Oil was leaking from oil pump seal going down the shaft and dripping out the foot of the lower unit.
Apparently another problem being seen on these Yamaha's at around 800-1000 hours mark is a groove getting warn between crankshaft and oil pump seal.
The repair involved new oil pump, new seals, and a kit from Yamaha that adds a new stainless steel sleeve to crankshaft. Parts and labor a little north of $1000.
My year engine seems to have dodged the exhaust corrosion issue (2006/7), at 1000hrs, this is the first issue I've had outside the normal, scheduled maintenance.

Back