Yamaha 150 TX.......HPDI

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mildew2

Reaction score
I am looking at a Parker with a 2003 TX.......HPDI Yamaha engine..264 hrs. I am not familiar with this engine at all. What are the Pros and Cons?? Thanks

One of the most powerful of the Yamaha 2-strokes. Relatively simple and reliable.
The HPDI was the 'next generation' after the OX66, and more sophisticated.

A service technician can plug a laptop into it and tell you the whole history of the motor.
Hours, max rpm's, any history of overheating... stuff like that.

Good motors, just make sure it has had all of it's software updates.

Thanks for the response Kevin. My local Yamaha dealer told me that the fuel efficiency
with the HPDI was as good or better than the 150 four stroke.

Got 700 hrs on mine. I'm sure that if you've done any research on the HPDI you'll agree that fuel problems are the #1 issue. Changing fuel filters at recommended intervals is critical. Also, I'd be sure to add the recommended fuel amendments. I also dose with injector cleaner.

Otherwise, it's a strong engine. I understand the main difference between the 150 and the 200 is the ECU.

Thanks Mokee this 150 HPDI is also on a 2003 2120SC. It has 265 hrs. I asked the dealer to check on the software updates when they did the computer check but they said they can find nothing about any updates even when they checked with Yamaha. Have you had fuel issues with yours. I always use Startron with fill ups, is there something else I should do in addition to that?

Great engine....add yamaha ring free plus. I ounce to every ten gallons of gasoline.
Also run a ten micron fuel water seperator.

Have you had fuel issues with yours.

Yes, We've had to change out the VST filter twice on trips. Now I carry a spare, and if MD sits unused any length of time I drain the VST tank. Considering that we've fueled up at a lot of different sources at different locations, I'm surprised we haven't had more problems.

We also carry a spare Raycor 2 micron filter. We use Ringfree, and Stabil fuel amendments. Once a year we buy a dose of injector cleaner at the Chevy dealer. We check the tank at the beginning of the season for water.

With the injectors and ethanol used today, all makes of outboards are probably more prone to fuel problems- JMO.

Back