Yamaha 4 stroke corosion

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was posted by a Yamaha tech on a local fishing website I belong to, some sound info on this subject which basically confirms my findings on this issue.

-2002-2004 were the years that are affected.
-Mostly due to high salinity and high water temps (FL).
-Flushing engines HELPS DRAMATCIALLY!
-Ethanol fuel produces an acid as a by product in the exhaust, this acid is extremely corrosive to aluminum.
-Running a fuel stabilizer ALL YEAR helps tremendously. Oil based stabilizers seem to reduce the effects of the ethanol, and leave a coating on all surfaces.
-Ring Free is oil based, not proven, but likely to help reduce the effect.

I have seen first hand F225's with 5000+ hrs. Maintenance is the biggest factor. Follow it to a T, and you will decrease the probability of issues. It is not unlikely to get over 2500hrs out of todays 4 strokes. I have seen many over 2000hrs.

I asked my mechanic about this 2 years ago and he said he's only seen a few and these were used in heavy SW environment. Fast forward the conversation to this winter, and he tells me he has a couple in the shop right now and is seeing more and more of these motors coming in with this same problem. I have an 02 with only 350 hours but am prepared to drop the $3,000 on the fix as soon as the telltale signs show....just a matter of time. Its either that, or drop $20K on a new 250hp.

-Ethanol fuel produces an acid as a by product in the exhaust, this acid is extremely corrosive to aluminum.

This is what burns me, politics causes me to question my motors.

How the F@%< does that happen?? :evil:

If you have a 9/16 socket and wrench you can take out the 8 bolts yourself and drop the lower in about 15 minutes.

Get a clymers manual and just do it.

If not ,about 1 hours labor at the shop for R&R.

If you're pulling it do the water pump and change the gear oil at the same time.
Capt Brian

I'm not saying this is the case but I wonder how many shops are going to take advantage of this and replace parts that do not need replacing.

I would want to see proof, but that's just me.

Brent,
I've already seen alot of these defective motors both in person and on line.
Good luck with yours, it's too bad Yamaha is creating all of this bad will and not stepping up to fix a pretty obvious defect.
Hopefully Parker will change engine manufactures, if they continue to have a relationship with Yamaha it will not bode well for them. Anyone who does not stand behind their product will eventually go out of buisness.
Capt Brian

I had to replace my F150 port motor powerhead in November 2010 because of the same issue. Engine had 850 hrs.; very well maintained. The corrosion that you are seeing pictures of in the other posts also happens to the bottom of the powerhead; and my case, ate through the block allowing exhaust to leak into the cowling. Alarms never went off. I noticed a lack of bubbles in my exhaust from the port motor while trolling and had a mechanic look at it. He immediately said I had an exhaust leak which was visible by the discoloration of the inside of the cowling where the exhaust was hitting it. Pulling the powerhead confirmed the corrosion. Of course, by this time it is too late for repair. Fortunately, even though my motor was 2 months out of warranty, Yamaha covered the entire new powerhead(parts & labor).

We'll, I pulled my lower units today and inspected the exhaust tubes all the way up to the block using a borescope with a video screen.

Comparing what I saw to pictures here and ones I have seen at our local Parker dealer, Boats Inc., it seems my F200's are safe. 8)

The walls of the exhaust and the mating surfaces of each part look nothing like what I have seen, this makes me feel a little better anyway at the start of the season.

Now All I need to do is change the fluids and splash her, hoping for next weekend but I'm about 2 weeks behind.

What do you guys think of running and addative like Z Max or something? I know that stuff is usually smoke and mirrors but I figure it can't hurt.

Thoughts??

This was the kit I used.

15034_lg.jpg

Back